How does faith affect your dating life and relationships?

For me personally, religion was never a real factor in my relationships. I'm Catholic, but I've dated folks of most major religions, plus a few more obscure one's, and plenty of non-religious folks, but it's never been a real issue. Hell, my husband was agnostic when we got married. I always felt that as long as my partner was a decent person and respected my faith, I'd respect theirs, and it would all be fine. But I want to know what y'all think and how religion and faith impact your relationships.

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• I could only date someone who is religious if they could leave it to themselves. I have a pretty negative view on religion and if they would want me to go to church or whatever with them, I'd be a goner.

0|0
    0|0
    • I totally get that, and my husband is similar. The only religious person in his life growing up was abusive, so religion isn't really for him, but he's respectful of my faith, and I'm respectful of his lack of faith. I do ask him to come with me on major holidays, and he will usually choose to come to church with me when I'm particularly stressed, but I would never make him take part if he didn't want to.

Most Helpful Girl

• If their faith made them see me as lower, then it would not work. But I am open to being with people of all faiths, as long as there is mutual respect.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 17

• If you're religious date a religious person if your not religious don't date a religious person. You will cause one to lose faith and they will resent you for that. Stick to your kind lol. Fundamental differences will eventually cause the relationship to fail anyways.

2|0
    0|0
    • I agree with that. I'm a liberal but a practising Muslim, and I would also prefer to be with someone who is like that too. As I know being in a long term relationship with a non-Muslim or conservative muslim would cause a lot of issues between us.

• I'm Catholic as well. I was fortunate enough to find a girlfriend who is also Catholic. We're also both pretty traditional/orthodox-leaning.

Before I met her, I'd really hoped to be able to find someone like her. I wanted to date to pursue marriage. I could just have seen significant things that might have been sources of contention, things that I'm not sure I would be willing to compromise on.

Basically for me, it was almost a requirement. She would have had to be REALLY special.

0|0
    0|0
  • What you said... religion hasn't been a problem for me. Hopefully, it stays that way.

1|0
    0|0
    • I hope so too. In general, as long as nobody has an "I'm right, you're wrong" attitude about it, things work out fine.

• In a perfect world they work out fine. Unfortunately, in the real world they are cool with that, but have been married 3 times.

• It wouldn't, I grew up Roman Catholic, but I don't believe in it at all anymore, guess I was never very religious anyways.

There are people who are religious but not too religious, I would date women like that, but there are some religions I would stay away from. Scientology for sure lol

0|0
    0|0
  • It's normally a non issue till in my case the girl makes it a big deal I go with the flow

1|0
    0|0
    • That's exactly how I feel about it. If it's not a big deal to you, it's not a big deal to me. We just both have to be respectful.

• Ya and most of the time there isn't any clashing views and you can keep moving foward

• Exactly. The basis of most religion is just a set of guidelines on how to not be a shit person, so they tend to be remarkably similar when you look deeper.

• Yes, very much so. I was raised in a Southern Christian family and I want to be with someone who shares my values. I'm also very traditional in dating, which most girls find laughable today. Most girls don't even want to date, they just want to "hang out" and hook up given all the fear of commitment in our generation.

0|0
    0|0
  • I believe "Religion is the opiate of the masses", I'm dead against all forms of religion, you probably wouldn't date an opium adict, I wouldn't date someone who goes to church.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well given man are the owners of your last name in marriage as well as birth your children usually take dads last name. Its only fair you follow whatever faith your man wants unless you're devoted Catholic and will only marry Catholic.

0|0
    0|0
    • A) typically religion follows maternal lines.
      B) my husband don't own shit. I'm my own person, and my children will be there own people.

• Show All
    • I don't have to. I can ask them. And I also thank God that you are alone, which your profile makes clear, as no woman deserves to be stuck with a man like you.

• Am not alone nor will your words make me alone witch.

• None at all my wife and I were born into different religions but now neither of us are religious at all.

1|0
    0|0
  • I am also human and I was wondering if between faith and religion is any corelation. From what I know faith means positive thinking and religion folks aren't that positive.

0|0
    0|0
    • No that is just an opinion/judgement. truly religious people only associate with other people of their religion and the half asser's who set the bad example are the ones out being hypocrites and spreading a bad image. Yes you can have faith/hope in Anything you want humanity, science, god, nature, etc. Religion is mostly organize to make people behave. People think the world is becoming a darker place but it was always this way we just have the internet to spread it all world wide now. People are just naturally selfish and shitty religion is a way for people to strive for a better world.

• @Ghost_Woof well said bro 👏

• Funny you should ask, because a potential partner NOT being a Christian is my #1 deal-breaker.

1|0
    0|0
  • I could not date women of certain faiths, especially Muslims.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's one of those things that you hope your putting your time into what you like. thats what it means to be In. Relationship

0|0
    0|0
  • Religon would in mine cause i dislike religon and faith but personailty is still means more

0|0
    0|0
  • I have no faith.

0|0
    0|0
  • I have no faith and no dating life

0|0
    0|0
  • I will not date unless she believes what I believe or else its a waste of time

i don't want to stick my dick in stupid

0|0
    0|0
    • So because someone has a different view than you they are automatically stupid?

• Show All
    • *his logic

• @codycodycody

cause im correct literally like 90% of the time
      and I have enough to back up my statements

basically if the person does not believe what I believe they are stupid
      cause its out in public now

What Girls Said 5

• I'm Pentecostal. And I think it's a big deal. Your faith should be the biggest part of your life. I want my partner to know all of me. Without him being of the same faith, there will always be a part of my life, a huge part of my life he will never understand. That's leads to cognitive dissonance. Which leads to heart break.

0|1
    0|0
    • I see your point... but wouldn't sharing your faith with someone that treats you well and loves you for you that wants to learn more about your faith without necessarily believing in it be better?

• I believe that God guides my future. So he will guide me to a person who shares my faith who loves me. Or that He will guide them to me. That's what faith is. There is a difference between religion and faith. We go by apostolic Pentecostals.

• Does someone who is waiting till marriage also ideally want their wife to be waiting also? I'm not religious but i want to keep my option open.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think 2 people of the same beliefs should be together because if 2 people butt heads because of religion, that can really strain a relationship NGL

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah. I don't think it'd work out being with someone who's religious.

0|0
    0|0
  • I am atheist. And I found it hard to build close relationship with an orthodox christian. It was hard for me, not for him. I do respect one's choice to believe and I know what functions religion has in society. But as for relationship such enormous difference in worldview was harmful, sometimes l could say something blasphemy without intention to offend him. I can censor myself with other people, but I don't want to do so with my boyfriend, because I believe good relationship is when you can tell each other everything what's on your mind.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes