How does faith affect your dating life and relationships?

For me personally, religion was never a real factor in my relationships. I'm Catholic, but I've dated folks of most major religions, plus a few more obscure one's, and plenty of non-religious folks, but it's never been a real issue. Hell, my husband was agnostic when we got married. I always felt that as long as my partner was a decent person and respected my faith, I'd respect theirs, and it would all be fine. But I want to know what y'all think and how religion and faith impact your relationships.

618

Most Helpful Guy

• I could only date someone who is religious if they could leave it to themselves. I have a pretty negative view on religion and if they would want me to go to church or whatever with them, I'd be a goner.

• I totally get that, and my husband is similar. The only religious person in his life growing up was abusive, so religion isn't really for him, but he's respectful of my faith, and I'm respectful of his lack of faith. I do ask him to come with me on major holidays, and he will usually choose to come to church with me when I'm particularly stressed, but I would never make him take part if he didn't want to.

Most Helpful Girl

• If their faith made them see me as lower, then it would not work. But I am open to being with people of all faiths, as long as there is mutual respect.