How expensive is a high maintenance love interest?

How expensive can your romantic interest be for dates and such before you start to think they are high maintenance?

How expensive is a high maintenance love interest?
(This question is set up in terms of any currency comparable to the USD, CAD, EUR, etc. Feel free the still play along with another currency and let us know the currency and comparison in what it buys in the comments!)
  • 0 - $99
    Vote A
  • $100 - $249
    Vote B
  • $250 - $499
    Vote C
  • $500 - $999
    Vote D
  • $1,000 - $4,999
    Vote E
  • Over $5,000
    Vote F
  • Over $10,000
    Vote G
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|2

Most Helpful Guy

• A
    but I think via profile photo you might get away with more... and if dedicated to a guy, motivated & enthusiastic... MUCH more

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• If a person is unhappy unless the date is costing a lot... then that's high maintenance and rude AF...

If a guy is taking me to super nice dinners... where I'm from a tasting menu is often like $65 plus like $35 for a drink paring... But that wouldn't likely be a frequent thing. If he's doing it often then my god not only must he make a decent amount of money but he must really like me. I'd really appreciate it. Food is my favorite so... I've never had food cost more than 200 before ever... Not just for me.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 29

• If she’s counting money then $1 is too much. If she has a giving spirit & is loyal & loving, I would give her the moon.

1|2
    0|0
  • If having to spend money is a priority reguardless the amount.
    I dated a girl that wanted flowers every week.
    Dated a girl that wanted to eat out every other day.
    When she isn't on the same page as you when it comes to finances cut em loose.
    Don't need another charity case.

0|0
    0|0
  • 1 visit a month = 700GBP

She was a proper careless and heartless bitch.

Since that day, I have vowed never to waste money on women.

I am not going out of my way to treat none of them like a princess without getting anything back. Fuck that right off.

I work bloody hard to earn legit.

0|1
    0|0
  • The monetary cost doesn't matter to me, as I would never get into a high maintenance relationship. The emotional and control issues alone would drive me away.

0|0
    0|0
    • Please explain how you define a high maintenance relationship? It seems like it means a lot more than money to you.

• The need to be sure to please her, or keep her happy, in so many situations. Something like the need to cater to her. Beyond what is normally done in a relationship. The expectancy that her needs will be met, not counting the difficulty he has to go through to get them met.

• Exactly as much as you think. If you start to feel like you're an expensive date, you are. The second you start to think that they're high maintenance, they are.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'll know by date 1!
    it's not the money it's the intent

I can easily tell if she's the type that 'demands' her date to pay for her... that's not going to fly... ciao girly πŸ˜›

0|1
    0|0
  • A, ha ha. People shouldn't even try to spend money while dating. Women areent supposed to be like... put in a quarter and go for a ride.

0|0
    1|0
    • Women aren't supposed to be like... put in a quarter and go for a ride like one of those kiddy toy contraptions next to a store.

• πŸ˜‚ my current love interest is so high maintenance we didn't even start a relationship because I could afford to keep her in her current lifestyle so she rejected me.

0|0
    0|0
    • She was only after a financial spouse. she couldn't care less about feelings. (gold digger)

(that's one kind of prostitution people don't think of as prostitution)

• Show All
    • Whoa... Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde... *pulls out a fire extinguisher*

• lol, I apologize that was a little harsh. I'm still a bit tender, angry & bitter.

• I dont think money would matter if we both are genuine and truly love each other. If she creates unnecessary demands wch i can't afford there is no point of the relationship. On the other hand i would go beyond to make her happy if we r truly in love

0|0
    0|0
  • Voted A. You're dating, not paying her bills she fell behind on.

1|0
    0|0
  • per date? I can't think of anywhere that would charge more than $100 for dinner. Beyond dinner, what else is done on a date is ambiguous. Hockey games can be really expensive, for example, but I wouldn't call it a high-maintenance thing. Whereas something that could be dull like an art exhibit* could very well be free.

I don't think money spent on dates is a good metric for determining how high-maintenance a girl is. It's more about assessing her "self-maintenance". A person who asks for almost nothing, but is unwilling to get it them-self, will eventually ask for everything.

*not saying art exhibits are inherently dull, just giving a hypothetical example of something that I, personally, would assume to be a 'maintenance' task with the strict purpose of entertaining my partner, rather than myself.

0|0
    0|0
  • It doesn't really work episodically.
    You have to look at it like a chronic condition.
    It is the amount of your money you must lay out to keep them happy or out of trouble.

If you find yourself having to spend more than $50/week (beyond normal dating expenses) week after week, for this person, to me, they are high maintenance.

Put another way, $50/week extra means $200 -to $250/month or $2600/year you are spending on them that you should be spending on your quality of life. For instance:
    1. Paying off loans like student loans or car loans.
    2. Saving for retirement or your future kuds college.
    3. Saving for emergencies like car repairs or medical bills.
    4. Saving for major purchases like a new car or mortgage.
    5. Getting a better apartment.
    6. Buying more expensive, healthier, better quality food which is a great way to avoid medical problems later in life.

If you have a "HM" boyfriend or girlfriend, find out fast and dump them ASAP.

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends on how long the relationship has been going on. If it's just in the dating phase of the relationship I would say €1000-4,999 when you've been on a number of dates, depending on what salary you have of course. You shouldn't really spend a large portion of your earnings just to go on dates for a few months.

My current relationship has cost me way more than €10'000, but this is because my SO earns less than me and the relationship has been going on for several years. I don't think that was what you meant though, since sharing money is normal when you live together.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't care if I work in McDonald's or an a billionaire if she is needs expensive stuff to be with me I rather not

0|0
    0|0
  • Impossible to say: the sky canbe the limit for some

0|0
    0|0
  • $100 - $249 to spend on a date is high maintenance.

0|0
    0|0
  • People on here acting like they spend 5k on a date
    πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ why you tryna impress the internet bro?

0|0
    0|0
  • It has to not affect my lifestyle or she's too expensive

0|0
    0|0
  • I can't put a # to it since we're not specifing per week/month or what... However I do feel the high maintenance doesn't just mean money for me high maintenance can also be from a person being really needy, like they need to spend all the time they can with u and it seems like it's never enough... Also when they seem to absolutely need u to go along with them anywhere they go or that they need ur help all the time with anything... like they can't do anything on their own they need u to hold their hand... To me these are all high maintenance...

0|0
    0|0
  • with my broke college student budget, bout 100$ every couple months month

0|0
    0|0
  • I would say $1000-5000 depending on paying for her bills and apartment rental etc.

0|0
    0|0
  • I prefer an intelligent and self relying woman that have a job.

0|0
    0|0
    • Men still take intelligent and self reliant women with jobs on nice dates...

• Show All
    • That is strange, but not all women are feminists, and not all expect equal treatment. True feminism expects equal opportunity more than equal treatment overall. The opportunity to ask a man out and pay, but not the expectation to do so. I don't know. I am certainly not much of a feminist.

• Fun stuff

• 200 Eroyi

0|0
    0|0
  • Love your photoshopped boobs

0|0
    1|0
  • Too expensive

0|0
    0|0
  • 0 - $99

I dont love these THOTTIES gtfo

0|0
    0|0
  • $200+

0|0
    0|0
  • Er, I'm actually broke.

0|0
    0|0
  • Why? We're you thinking of becoming one?

0|0
    0|0
    • No, I was not especially high maintenance when dating. I was always happy to sit at home and watch a movie for a date. I might be higher maintenance as a wife though. My husband does not seem to concerned.

• Show All
    • Well, Nice apartment in the south of France...$2000-3000 a month rent, she has to have the finest wardrobe... another $3000 month... amazing food at least $100.00 a day ($3000 per month) just allowance probably another $1500 - 2000 month play money... over $10000.00 already

• Actually closer to $15000

What Girls Said 4

• i dont like to have my boyfriend spend so much money on me... i just tell him "its ok save that for when we get our own place" :)

1|1
    0|0
  • I'd like my guy to offer to pay on the first date - though, I'd also like it to be a good but not super expensive place; that'd make me uncomfortable -. From then on, I'd just split the checks, tbh. Or at least I wouldn't like my boyfriend to pay by default - beautiful gestures get underestimated when done in a regular basis.

Also, unless I end up marrying another doctor, or a lawyer, there's a big chance I'll earn more money than my future husband/ long term partner. And, as long as he has passion for what he does, I will be happy with him.

1|0
    0|0
  • For a single date/event/set of presents, the price should be anywhere from a cent to $200, depending how special the time is. For example you might just see and buy a keyring your boyfriend would like which is cheap but cute, or you might have a really special birthday date to splash out on. I personally wouldn't go that high, but I do think it's a reasonable price to pay. But anywhere from the top end of your second poll option onward is getting too pricey, and it's a dick move to just expect this of your partner!

0|0
    0|0
  • I won't spend more than 5 euros on a date. I'm poor so XD

0|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes