My girlfriend is very new to relationships. What to expect?

I'm the first guy she is dating. In fact she never thought much about any other guy before this. I feel extra burdened by keeping things gentle and trying to make her feel positive and comfortable. How do I keep things easy for her yet not be upset myself? I do understand she's trying somewhere. But I constantly fear she might end up doing something just because she might think I want it that way. I'm waiting for the time she might be able to express more. Can't tell her about it (or she might just be burdened herself).

52

Most Helpful Girl

• Im in this situation. Im on my second boyfriend, but the first was extremely casual so this is really truly my first relationship. I've never had to open up and let someone in before. Plus, im showing all of me and not just what I want the other person to see, now. Its nerve wrecking. Especially as more feelings develop. Im connected to this person in an intimate way. I feel like I know them, but Im aware I only know so much. I dont know how he reacts when things aren't going his way, when he's angry, when he's upset. Weve never even fought... Those are the things your girlfriends going to worry about. She'll go through different stages of acceptance and your relationship will evolve as she becomes more comfortable.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • That was really helpful. She often tells me she gets upset because I'm taking a lot of efforts on my side while she thinks she is not. Too much overthinking involved.

• In that case, she's telling you that you treat her very well, she appreciates it, and she hopes to do the same. In addition, she's having a difficult time because she wants to make you as happy as you make her, but she's still learning to express herself so she's not very sure if she's showing the right kind of effort and affection. People need different things. Some need emotional and physical touch, others need gifts, acts of service, etc. She just doesn't know which of those makes you happiest yet. Personally, I need a lot of cuddling and raw, honest conversations to really connect. you'll find your thing.

• The three listed are physical touch, gift giving, and acts of service. The other two are words of affirmation and quality time. These are known as the five love languages. If you think it would help, you and your girlfriend could talk about these things and even take an online test to figure out how you each like to give and receive love. This may help both of you, especially her, strengthen your relationship and help her feel your love and learn how to express her love to you.