Is being smart an advantage or disadvantage towards getting someone?

I hear often how people want someone who's smart but they're smart people who feel they have to dumb down the conversation in order to get someone as who they meet can't keep up with an intelligent conversation. Is being smart an advantage or disadvantage towards getting someone?

• Advantage
  • Disadvantage

936

Most Helpful Guy

• I'd say it's an advantage. Being smart means having a wider range of conversation topics available when idle gossip gets boring and politics gets heated.

Most Helpful Girl

• if you're a woman? i don't think it helps really. being smart isn't really something that men tend to look for. they want someone attractive, friendly, and sweet. sure, some may want an intelligent woman too, but you'd be hard-pressed to find a man who puts that trait at number 1. and even the ones who say they do... i reaaaallly doubt that's the 100% truth there.

for a man, however... being smart is a very valuable trait and DOES help in dating. a smart man is interesting to women and will be able to communicate in a way that differentiates himself from the rest of the pack.

• None of what you said is true. I'm a smart guy and intelligence is one of the top things I look for in a girl. And girls do not look for intelligence at all. Every time I try to have an intellectual convo with a girl it always dies down really fast because she immediately loses interest and its clear that she just wants me to make her laugh and not have to think about anything. And I always have to dumb down the conversation so much.

Being smart is a huge disadvantage because most people are not smart.

Girls only care about looks, humor, money and social status.

• @dragonxbars you don't know me at all... so why are you saying i'd definitely go with some famous dude over a shy one? frankly, the shy guy sounds better- but if he has no friends, that's something that worries me. if he can't relate to a single other person... i'd have to wonder why. having a close friend isn't a marker of social status... it tells me about if he can be close with someone else, trust them, if he can bond with someone else- and all of that is really important to me.

• I wasn't seriously addressing you personally, I just know how most girls are. No offense.

But having no friends doesn't mean he can't relate. It just might mean he hasn't yet.