Online dating: have you ever met someone that sorta lied about themself?

My friends told me to be careful when it comes go online dating. I understand that but why would someone lie about themselves if it's 100% chance he/she will want to meet them one day?

1117

Most Helpful Guys

• People lie about their age, women do that often once they get around mid-30s, I think often it’s more innocent than you think, usually it’s because they fear being judged, or not accepted, in one way or another, so if they know you like them, for who they are, they will tell you the truth

• People on dating profiles are looking for dates, and like actors they will often exagerrate some parts of themselves in their bios or while they're chatting with a match to have a better chance.
    There's usually no malice meant or any intention other than attracting more potential matches.
    It's kind of part of our own nature to judge ourselves more fairly too. So some people just don't see certain flaws or the magnitude of their flaws sometimes.

Most Helpful Girls

• Mmhm! I got sorta kinda catfished. His picture was him skinny & dorky cuteness. Then when he showed up, he was really really fat. Which I don’t consider myself skinny, but I do take care of myself. I don’t lie or hide what my body really looks like. I’m all about body positivity & pursuing your own ideal body type. Yet it was such a huge difference from his profile picture, that it was obvious he had a lot of insecurity issues. Which at the point I brought it up, he said the photo he used was his high school senior pic. So it had been a 3-4 years difference type lie he was using to get dates. If someone lies about their appearance, then I assume they’ll lie about other insecurities they have. I’m not about fixing people. So I ended the date early & told him he should update his profile ASAP.

• I remembered there was one time I chatted with this guy online. He seemed nice, polite and was like the perfect gentleman. We talked consecutively for about three to four days. He shared his personal stuff and problems with me etc etc. And being the naive person I was back then, I was intrigued and attracted. Told me he felt the same way and wanted to take things further.

During the third or fourth day, I can't remember how but the conversation turned more personal and sexual. He asked for photos of my panties which i rejected. And lo and behold, the "nice" guy which I liked immediately heaped all sorts of insults and degradetory remarks onto the screen. I was stunned back then, asked him why he was doing this, which he replied with more verbal abuse. He said I was wasting his time and then logged off. I blocked that guy from my contact list after that.

So sweetie, do you get what I'm trying to tell you here? people lie during online dating because a relationship is not what they wanted, they just want sex. Just take everything you hear or see with an inch of salt. And you should not be pressurized into sharing personal details.