Online dating: have you ever met someone that sorta lied about themself?

My friends told me to be careful when it comes go online dating. I understand that but why would someone lie about themselves if it's 100% chance he/she will want to meet them one day?

0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• People lie about their age, women do that often once they get around mid-30s, I think often it’s more innocent than you think, usually it’s because they fear being judged, or not accepted, in one way or another, so if they know you like them, for who they are, they will tell you the truth

0|0
    0|0
  • People on dating profiles are looking for dates, and like actors they will often exagerrate some parts of themselves in their bios or while they're chatting with a match to have a better chance.
    There's usually no malice meant or any intention other than attracting more potential matches.
    It's kind of part of our own nature to judge ourselves more fairly too. So some people just don't see certain flaws or the magnitude of their flaws sometimes.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• Mmhm! I got sorta kinda catfished. His picture was him skinny & dorky cuteness. Then when he showed up, he was really really fat. Which I don’t consider myself skinny, but I do take care of myself. I don’t lie or hide what my body really looks like. I’m all about body positivity & pursuing your own ideal body type. Yet it was such a huge difference from his profile picture, that it was obvious he had a lot of insecurity issues. Which at the point I brought it up, he said the photo he used was his high school senior pic. So it had been a 3-4 years difference type lie he was using to get dates. If someone lies about their appearance, then I assume they’ll lie about other insecurities they have. I’m not about fixing people. So I ended the date early & told him he should update his profile ASAP.

1|0
    0|0
  • I remembered there was one time I chatted with this guy online. He seemed nice, polite and was like the perfect gentleman. We talked consecutively for about three to four days. He shared his personal stuff and problems with me etc etc. And being the naive person I was back then, I was intrigued and attracted. Told me he felt the same way and wanted to take things further.

During the third or fourth day, I can't remember how but the conversation turned more personal and sexual. He asked for photos of my panties which i rejected. And lo and behold, the "nice" guy which I liked immediately heaped all sorts of insults and degradetory remarks onto the screen. I was stunned back then, asked him why he was doing this, which he replied with more verbal abuse. He said I was wasting his time and then logged off. I blocked that guy from my contact list after that.

So sweetie, do you get what I'm trying to tell you here? people lie during online dating because a relationship is not what they wanted, they just want sex. Just take everything you hear or see with an inch of salt. And you should not be pressurized into sharing personal details.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 15

• Not lied, but weren't entirely truthful about what they wanted. Or they thought they wanted one thing and realized they really wanted another so it was effectively the same situation.

Like a girl saying she's cool with an open relationship then realizing she's not and wants to keep it one on one. Maybe she lied and thought she could change your mind. Or she thought she could handle it and realized once she was in it that she couldn't.

0|0
    0|0
  • Everybody lies online, because so many people will reject you over one word or one number.

None of us should be disrespected over one word or one number. We should all be considered as a package, and a package we are.

1|1
    0|0
  • In case you didn't know, people suck, they lie constantly. Everyone is a badass online

1|0
    1|0
    • Thank you for your opinion, hopefully the guy I'm talking to isn't lying because he seems like someone that I always look for in a guy.
      But about the badass part, yeah I know what you mean.

• I once realised that a woman knew me by a false name, I didn't realise this until after we'd slept together.

0|0
    0|0
  • I've been lucky to meet 3 and none of them lied call it either luck or the fact that I might actually be able to smell bullshit

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah, sorta to totally. Most of the women I met lied some, and many lied a lot.

0|0
    0|0
  • Never trust anybody on the internet. The internet is its own little world.

0|0
    0|0
    • Thank you, I will definitely keep that in mind!

• All I have met are liars online. Fake pics, hiding their kid, divorced, blah blah. Just be honest.

0|0
    0|0
  • Some can't help it after doing it so long and so often.

0|0
    0|0
  • Lots of scammers asking for money etc...

1|0
    0|0
  • Of course. We all have.

0|0
    0|0
  • Catfish, call up catfish mtv

0|0
    0|0
    • Well hopefully the guy I'm talking to is legit. He was actually the one that asked for a video chat before we continued to get to know each other more, but my friends still told me to be careful though.

• Show All
    • Haha ☺.

• yeah some fatties lied with good photoshop

0|0
    0|0
  • don't we all lie a little about ourselves

0|0
    1|0
  • Yes! I met a seemingly beautiful girl on somewhere I don't remember. When I eventually met her, she turned out to be a little bit bigger, than what she had described herself to be

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 9

• I've come across that have lied. One guy used a picture when he was 18 and he was 35 when I met him. You will find a lot, that their actually picture isn't being used. I came across my boyfriend's old POF dating sight and he lied saying he had some college education. When on dating sites, you do need to be aware that there's a good chance they are not who they say they are. That's why back in the day, I had a minimum of 1 year of talking to them online before I would meet them.

0|0
    0|0
  • I never did online dating but heard from a lot that people that they lie about their identity like men pretend to be women and older men pretend to be hot young guys... there was even news about a girl who had a relationship with an old shameless man who took a pic
    of a handsome guy model from google pretending to be him it was a real shock for that girl
    Insecurities is one of the reasons i think is causing this

0|0
    0|0
  • I dated a guy online when I was young who pretty much lied about his entire identity except for the way he looked. Be very very careful it’s very easy to lie when you aren’t seeing them In person. Skype then to make sure they are who they say they are physically, and take everything they say with a grain of salt

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes. At 17 I met that Swedish man who lied to me he was 28 and then found out that he was sick 50 + man who had wife and kids. I felt so repulsed of him. I believe that's when I lost all interest in older men and developed a steong preference for guys my age.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah I did. But it wasn't a dating type of thing. Just as mutual friends.

0|0
    0|0
  • A lot of things people get catfished online

0|1
    0|0
    • Oh wow. So I guess it doesn't matter if they meet or not.

• That's online dating, full of liars!!!

0|0
    0|0
    • They figure they'll reel you in you'll be do enamorous with the concept of them you won't notice, you weren't paying that much attention, they can charm their through it. Men will say their 6'2" and 180 when their 5'6" and 250 and balding.

• I completely understand. Luckily the one I'm talking to asked for a video chat before we continued getting to know each other.. So maybe if everything doesn't go as planned, I should ask to video chat first.

• Yes, always talk on phone, video chat before meeting in person. And re-read all messages between the two of you one for memory and two there may be something you missed. Print the messages keep a file. And Google the even after the two of you meet face to face ask for their ID so this way you get their full name. I have lots law enforcement friends and they do background checks for me.

• See I am having this problem right now... I have a guy that I have been chatting to for a year now and we are gonna meet up later in the year (i am pretty sure he will come). I know he is real and what he said seem to be real too. But I am suspecting about his relationship status. He told me he's single but I feel like he's married and I am just having the biggest doubt right now.

0|0
    0|0
  • bc they dont know there's a 100% chance bc they never met that 100% chance before... also bc they might be trying to kidnap you or hurt you just being honest and blunt but just stay safe okay?

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes