My boyfriend did not get me anything for our first anniversary, when I got him thoughtful gift?

He is bad with dates so I reminded him a week before. In addition to that I told him rhat i expect something, unlike other people who don't say clearly what they want and expect others to know it.

He knows how simple I am so a flower and handmade card would have been enough.

He didn't do anything. Anything. Apart from wishing me happy anniversary. I asked him nicely about celebration and he said he didn't get time to do anything because he was busy with school and work.

Got upset and cried a bit and fought with him. I had bought him a small desk organiser because I knew he wanted it since long and a small letter about how he matters to me.

Anyway, even after argument/fight he still didn't feel like making up by doing something.

I said that to him and he finally... Got me a packet of M&Ms and mars bar. After so much nagging.

I feel devastated because I have to fight for smallest things like these.

I understand having no money. My friends' boyfriends don't have it either. Still they do nice things for them that don't cost much.

PS- He is the kind of guy that marks important things on calendar and such. He didn't mark this one

Guys bashing me and calling me selfish when I expected something from my guy? How typical GaG.

I told him I expect something because he is the one who always complains that women never tell what they want, they just expect guy to know what to do. So I did tell what I wanted- a simple gift.

2037

Most Helpful Guys

• First of all, as soon as you say "I told him I expect something" I would have been out. It's one thing to discuss whether or not you plan to exchange gifts as a two-way exchange but a partner doesn't make demands. A boss does.

Now, it does sound like he's also pretty inconsiderate and not willing to put much work in.

Neither of you is showing yourselves to be good for each other right now, and my advice to EITHER of you would be to break it off and stay out of relationships until you're ready to treat a partner with respect.

• Read update. Had I not said anything, he'd blame me for "expecting him to know things by himself, without telling him"

• So bad. You have done what an ideal girlfriend would do.
    I feel it might be hard on your heart but at first it looks as you aren't his priority. Homework is just an excuse , he doesn't want you that badly.
    But there's another dude of picture too. you have to notice If he wasn't like this whole year and loved you and respected you at most times then this time excuse might be genuine one and he might've been very busy. He did wish you happy anniversary and that shows he does have some feelings.
    Take into account all the events of this year before going for a decision

• Thank you. This was pretty helpful.
      At least you get what I'm saying, unlike some guys who are bashing me.

• I'm glad i helped ☺️

Most Helpful Girls

• Really you should be thankful he said happy anniversary to you. An anniversary isn't a party to get gifts, it's to celebrate being with one another. Expecting a gift, in my opinion, is selfish. You both really should have dicussed this before the anniversary expectations on how each felt about giving gifts to one another instead of telling him you expected a gift. Then starting an argument over somethng like this, is selfish too - why make such a big deal, this is not trying to make a relationship work - that's adding unceccesary stress and a headache

• I have one question - was this a year anniversary? You didn't specify because some many girls want to celebrate a 3month, 6 month anniversary - which I could never understand why.
      The amount of time you've been dating will indicate his interest level in you as well. From your description above, it really sounds like you wasn't worth the effort to him - not even trying to make you happy. My comment above can be disregarded to some point, I still think this should have been discussed before your actual anniversary of what was expected by both parties.

• I specified in title itself that it was our first anniversary

• First anniversary doesn't specify the time frame. We don't know what you consider 1st. Like I mentioned above some celebrate 3 month, 6 month or a year. Each of these could be a first.

• Dump him. He doesn't care about you. Clearly he did it to shut you up. He sound lazy and he's using you. He's not a good boyfriend and you better break it off before he cheats on you or breaks up with you. I broke up with a guy who got me nothing for Valentine's Day when I made the fucker a card. He was cheating on me anyways and I wish I would have broken up with him way before that don't ignore the signs, girl.

• Don't worry about what these other gaggers say. They give the worst advice because they're miserable and wanna take other people down with em. You do nothing wrong and you're in the right so who cares what trash they wanna throw at you.

• Thanks hun.

They probably haven't even been with woman for long

• Of course and I would imagine. I don't know a woman that would put up with a man like that.