Should the guy pay the bill on a date?

My opinion is "no". This is an outdated stereotype, when men had better paid jobs. At least in my country (switzerland) girls and guys became equal. The future possibilities at work are kinda the same. Both sides should be ready to (at least try to) pay their shares. Thats equality.
  • Yes
    Vote A
  • No
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

1|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I prefer to pay for our own share of the bill. That way if the date doesn't go too well, and we don't want to meet up again neither of us will feel taken advantage of, and used for a "free meal ticket" We won't feel obligated to see each other again. If a guy paid, and I didn't want to see him again, I'd feel guilty that he paid for my meal.

It's unfair to expect someone else to pay your way on a first date

Even if a guy earned more money than a women, she shouldn't expect him to pay. People should pay their own way and not expect hand outs

If we'd been dating a while , and he insisted on paying, I'd ensure that I paid the next time

1|2
    1|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Guy

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 55

• Yes, at least for the first date. I think men want women to do too much of the work. You want us to approach you, cook for you, clean, take you on dates, have your kids, and all this while still working.

Stop being lazy and pay for a date. It will not kill you.

1|0
    0|5
    • It's not lazy, if you pay your own share. It's just polite.
      And I can't just assume at the first date, that my this girl becomes my future wife.

And you can't just assume that i want you to do most of the work. It's based on compromises, who will do which work. Its giving and taking.

• Show All
    • @steevo I am single but not a mom lol, I'm not having kids until I'm married. But my being single isn't why I said what I did. I've paid for my half on the first date before but I wasn't raised to believe I should be doing that. My father, uncles, brother... none of them would dream of doing that and I wasn't raised to accept so I'm not going to anymore.

• Would you say that you're more of a traditional kind of girl? As in someone who'd want to stay home and raise children? Or are you more of a feminist?

• No, if you're both adults, you should pay for yourself.

0|4
    1|0
  • No, it shouldn't be expected that the guy is going to pay. I'd prefer to pay my own way or at the very least split it. However, if a guy insists paying I'm not going to argue with him.

2|4
    0|0
  • I always split regardless of who I'm with.
    Except sometimes out with my fiance we will take turns paying it all. But i never let it be one sided.

0|3
    0|0
    • That's what i'm talking about. At least you should try to pay :)

• I always get my card out ready to pay for the entire bill but a few times the guy has beaten me to it and handed his card to the cashier. A few times when we both (at the same time) handed our cards to the cashiers, they always took his card and told me to let him pay. Lol

0|2
    0|0
  • I say that the duo need to be clear on what they want. Some men would rather pay it all themselves, some share, and some expect to be paid for. Each person need to be clear. Its different offering and getting told they'd pay for it all rather than not offering at all

0|0
    0|0
  • On dates with my boyfriend i always say "i'll pay for my half" and normally his response is "no, i got it" and he won't let me pay, that was until this weekend when we splashed out on pizza (found a place that does 20 inch pizzas for £10). The whole order came to £40 and my half cost me £15. He said to me "you know you said you'd pay for your half... would you mind paying this time? Just because it's a lot." And i said of course not, i wasn't gonna let you pay £40 for us both."

So my answer, if the guy insists to pay then sure, but i will always offer to pay my part.

5|3
    0|0
  • Logically they should split the bill because they both shared the food. But it’s always nice for the guy tto insist on paying for the date after I offer

0|3
    0|1
  • It's one thing to be like no ill pay for us as like a I'm taking you out type thing but it should go both da/ways and if you're just out and getting like fast food, pay for you own

0|2
    0|0
  • Nah, I don't think so. They should take turns or only have the other person pay if one of them can't due to lack of money. For example last night I went on a date and I paid for it because he paid for it last time.

0|1
    0|0
  • I feel kinda guilty for boys always paid the bill. It'll be better if you split the bill sometimes

1|5
    0|0
  • I think the guy should pay on the first date, only because it’s the gentleman thing to do. After that I don’t really care who pays but if they don’t pay for the first date, I’ll assume they don’t like me enough to want to pay for me. It’s just a chivalrous act that shows respect.

0|0
    0|4
    • you mean its the sexist thing to do

• Wow that’s a lot of thumbs down. I just feel it’s the respectful thing to do. I always offer to pay, but the guy is always quick to oblige. I have no problem paying for myself, but I feel like it’s a nice gesture. I mean sometimes I pay for my friends to do stuff, it’s not a sexist thing, it’s a nice thing.

• I prefer to pay because it shows that I’m capable of earning money and spending it on someone i like. 🤷‍♀️

0|4
    0|0
  • They absolutely should. Men have a role to play in society. Ignore the women who say they want to take tge lead role in relationships. Majority of us still want men to be men

4|0
    2|4
  • Honestly I believe when you invite someone to take them out then you pay unless you talk about it and you can't afford too. If I invite a guy somewhere I expect to pay. That goes for my family too. If I invite my boyfriend's mom to lunch then I'm gonna pay for it.

0|0
    0|0
    • 9.5 times out of 10, a girl isn't going to invite a guy on date.. Not in the beginning of a relationship/dating at least

• Show All
    • @Mr. Nameless. I only stand by the rules that are important to change like men having same rights as women with their children. Those are important things to change. Not a man not wanting to treat a woman on a date. When you complain about shit like that then your no better than the feminazis that aren't happy and want to walk around shirtless because guys do. Give me a break. Enough is enough. And by the way it would only make me sexist if I said a woman should never pay for a date. And I didn't say that. It's not women's fault that you guys are the askers more. I guess just sit around and hope a woman ask you or make sure you before you ask that she's in halfies. Just don't be surprised if a few get turned off.

• One more thing. Why do you think men didn't feel like woman thought they are superior back when they always paid to take ladies out, went to war for them, provided for them, ect? Men were happy to do things that way and didn't complain like little boys how unfair it was. And in turn we took care of men and the kids. I have no issue that women started to work. But I think they shouldn't have turned their backs on the most important job they had. Their children. I absolutely believe this is why our world is so f*cked up now and everyone can't be happy with anything. Everything is racist and sexist now. No one can be happy with the differences men and women brought to the table to make life work.

• It depends entirely on who started the date.

If the guy asked the girl, he should pay.
    If the girl asked the guy, she should pay.
    If they planned it together they should split the bill or pay for their own

1|1
    0|1
    • This is stupid, girls never ask guys on dates

• Show All
    • Lack of intelligence id glaring.

• Jay001. Have a good night.😎

• I actually don't like when a guy pays the bills.
    Partly because it's kind of an old sexist tradition. The other part is a lot of guys think if they pay a girl owes them and expect physical payment.
    Nope.
    If I owe money I pay back with money.

0|2
    2|1
    • Your first and second argument is mostly the same, sexist. And you look it through it that way.
      I would like to pay for dinner as a part of being a gentleman.

• how is it sexist?

You're the one who is brainwashed with old fashioned traditions

• refering to kule^

• In my opinion guys shouldn't pay the bill on a date.

1|3
    0|0
  • I wouldn't expect him to pay it but we often see it in films and whatever and we would appreciate that action but I wouldn't mind paying

0|0
    0|0
  • No, a guy doesn't have to pay! And I totally agree with your point of view & even if the scenerio wasn't the same, it's not mandatory for a guy to pay, woman should pay, at least half of the times if not always...

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Girls

What Guys Said 71

• It depends who asked out who and who can afford it. If I ask a girl to an expensive night out and she has a low salary I think it's a dick move to ask her to pay for her half. With a girlfriend I never keep track but it's roughly 50/50. I don't mind if a girl expects me to pay but then I would expect them to do more housework if we want to live likes it's the 50's. That's not sarcasm either I think that's fair.

0|1
    0|0
  • Majority of No ! Incredible ! For a first date, if girl likes the guy she will enjoy that he pay. But at the opposite, if she insists to pay, the under message is "Hell no i never want to see you again i don't want to have a debt with you." x).
    In a relationship long time after the first date, it sounds normal to pay each one his turn. Not all the time the guy x).

2|0
    0|0
  • I'd say let the girl choose. A date is really a test for compatibility. Her behavior and demands will only be amplified (same goes for guys) later in the relationship. If they don't want to split, they probably have more shitty ideas in their minds of what is expected of the guys.

0|1
    0|0
  • This has been an odd one for me. In my experiences, when I would ask a woman out for her time and company, I would pay. When a woman would ask me out, for my time and company, she would pay. Of course, there were times where I asked a young woman out and she simply did not enjoy herself and I would apologize and pay and take her home, or times I was asked out and was not enjoying myself and would pay and go home. It all depends on the circumstances, to determine etiquette.

0|0
    0|0
  • I didn't see a fuck yes so I voted yes
    At least for the first couple months if not the entire time of dating. It's not just out on dates even when out with friends
    It's just one way you show females that you will take care of them just as them trying to insist to pay shows the male that she is independent as well in some circumstances as show him she will take the load if he is unable you can learn much about people when the supper tickets gets layed down it also builds character and charity

0|0
    0|0
  • Men pay because we are Men. WE open doors and show up with flowers. Offer your jacket if it's cold. WE are Men we endure, we try and endure for all in our family. And Switzerland is a great place, I'm sure. But this is how it should be done.

3|0
    0|2
    • *up votes*

This is exactly why I date older men.

• Show All
    • @steevo actually everything mentioned was free. Older men dont wear skinny jeans either. Actually, men dont wear skinny jeans... and a young man can afford the lobster as well. He would just have to think of someone other than himself.

• ^ this 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

• Given we live in a supposed equal world, we should all pay for our own meals, etc. If the person you date pays for you, then they are very considerate.

0|2
    1|0
  • Generally I say if I ask a girl on a date then I would offer or insist to pay. However that's my opinion and I strongly believe it's a 50/50 thing to do. Girls who have it in there head it's rude when he does not pay for the bill are going to be hard work in the potential relationship...

0|1
    0|0
  • I would always be happy to. If my date wanted to split then I wouldn't argue. TBH the cost of a meal would be least of my concerns. I'd just hope we'd had a good time.

1|0
    0|0
  • This is what i think... No proper gentleman will allow a girl to pay for the bill on their first date. In our society today where gender equality is the norm of the day one might argue that since men/women are equal then a woman can equally pay the bill.

Women fight for equality but dont merit it

0|0
    0|1
  • I would never expect her to pay d entire bill nor wil i. I think both shud pay for each other. Like me payin for ma gal😊

1|1
    0|0
  • Should have included an option for split, I have absolutely no issues with paying for the first date as long as she at least offers to pay for her half/a round of drinks. A simple gesture goes a long way.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because I don’t want her to pay the bill, even if I won’t see her again. I would never go on a date I couldn’t afford to pay for, like other simple rules in life. I would be so “wtf?” By a girl trying to pay the bill for something I invited her to, it’s like saying “sex with you sounds repulsive, please, can I turn you off now?” The last thing a guy should be thinking is justice and fairness, you are the dude, you have to work for it and charm people, she can stand up and point and say “you, let’s fuck now” and guess what, it wouldn’t take 20 seconds for it to work. Can that work for you? No. So, guys, if you can’t afford it or it bothers you, don’t go on the date in the first place, if you want fairness in the dick vs vagina match, good luck, you will be jerking off after the date with half a bill receipt stuck in your shoe

0|0
    1|0
  • I like to pay the bill, but when she fights to pay the bill it's really cute.

1|0
    0|0
  • No, he should pay for what he ate/drank, and she should pay for what she ate/drank. Why should women be coddled just because they’re women? Makes no sense

0|1
    1|0
    • Agree. Its called equality, should not discriminate against one sex.
      50% more young women finish university than men now, get good income, go on date, man pays? Very odd.
      Maybe a woman looks for and only date a man that earns more than her - so he can pay for everything?

• There is no "should" about it. It's up to the people involved.

2|1
    0|0
  • You invited her, pay the fucking bill. The next date if she doesn't offer to at least split, ditch her.

1|0
    1|0
  • If he asked out the girl... yes.

If she asked him out she should pay.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's a common courtesy. It harms nobody.
    People should learn to appreciate the gender roles. The fact that women run after careers is not necessarily a good thing.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well, all this talk of equality and then I do think it seems kind of burden for a girl (like she owe him as he paid the bill) if a guy pays the bill on a date

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

Recommended myTakes