My mom says I shouldn’t settle for second best?

So my mom is like my best friend and thinks I can do better when it comes to my boyfriend of 2 months. She thinks I shouldn’t settle and should date around. She thinks I’ll regret it. This is my first real boyfriend and I do really like him but she’s making me second guess everything. What should I do?

38

Most Helpful Guy

• Listen to your mom but follow your heart. Don't dump your boyfriend until your heart tells you to do so meaning you just don't see a future with him. At minimum, the experience you have with this boyfriend is applicable to understanding future BFs so there's nothing wrong sticking with the current boyfriend.

I want to mention sonething else you may not like...

I don't exactly disagree with your mother but people (and boyfriends in particular) should not be treated like inanimate objects with no feelings which is what your mother's attitude is. I understand her perspective; she wants the best for you. However, casually discarding boyfriends because "you can do better" is cavalier and inhumane.

Imagine if your BF's parents said that about you - that he "could do better" - and he then dumps you even though he actually liked you and you were a good girlfriend. How would you feel being discarded like trash?

So, I say keep your boyfriend until YOU feel it's time tp break-up. Then, going forward, be pickier about the next guy and talk to your mom about what she thinks is a "better guy". And make sure to ask her if your father had those qualities.

Most Helpful Girl

• If you're unsure, then that means you need more time to figure things out. Don't rush into marriage or commitment. After all, you've only been with your boyfriend of 2 months.

Your mom just wants what's best for you, but ultimately, the choice will be on you.