Is there a certain kind of truth in a joke/teasing?

If a guy jokingly tells you stuff like: "I'd do you", " Downside of being attractive", "I'd stalk you" , etc.
I told my friend he shouldn't think much of it, but he told me there's a truth in every joke.

• Yes
    Vote A
  • A joke is just a joke
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Of course.

Jokes a at their core are an evolved behavior to communicate.

There had to be a truth for them to communicate. A reason we evolved and maintain the behavior.

They are largely twisted and used for many things now but at their core like most myths most jokes have a hint of truth even if we don't realize it at the time.

Cause and effect. Every action, every word has a reason behind it. The only question is can you find it?

You sound like you have a clever friend, I'd listen to that one.

0|1
    0|0
    • Both your poll questions have the same answer by the way. A joke is a joke and joke is a means to communicate a truth indirectly.

To attack a position indirectly, to teach, to hint, to flirt, to simply break the ice. It always has a meaning.

• Show All
    • I never implied nor said otherwise, just the opposite actually.

Perhaps you should read a bit more carefully.

• Oh, no joke!
      Let me reiterate. I concur.

Most Helpful Girl

• the point of jokes is to put something, someone, or some idea down by demeaning it either overtly or discreetly. What word's he's saying don't matter that much, but jokes on you, he's saying he can do anything he wants to, to you. Basically subconsciously shifting himself in a position of higher power. All jokes do this, but sexist jokes are more obvious. "guys will be guys" is bs and if they realized how many times their humor directly "translated as this" they'd hopefully think twice.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 21

• if a guy says it to a girl, there is often an underlying thought that he wants to do those things/believed them. if youve been best friends for over 5 years then those are platonic feelings

0|0
    0|0
  • People don't say what they aren't thinking. So if a person makes a joke like "I'd do you", then they were in fact just thinking about doing you, and followed with a "joke" that basically confirms that they do indeed want to do just that.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well thats the fun in that joke, if u like it, thts grt... but if u are offended by it, "its just a joke"... Haha deniability, its a win win situation.

0|0
    0|0
  • He wants you but on the up side so do most of the other men in the room. It's nice to be desired.

0|0
    0|0
  • When someone says just kidding
    They mean
    But not really

0|0
    0|0
  • One may lie, and hide their feeling of embarrassment or what have they because it is truly something they believe.

0|0
    0|0
  • Id say there is a limit, if he constantly says it, then he's trying to get you to acknowledge it. It can kinda be in a pushy way sometimes too.

0|0
    0|0
  • There's some truth in every joke. However this truth does not always resemble the words said.

0|0
    0|0
  • A joke,
    Unfortunately every joke holds a little truth if said to someone...

0|0
    0|0
  • He finds you attractive. At the same time don't over think it too much

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm a guy... I do that, and I mean it every time I say it

0|0
    0|0
  • A joke can be just a joke, you gotta be careful though

0|0
    0|0
  • most guys (including me) use jokes like these to drop hints. its usually the shy guys.

0|0
    0|0
    • I don't joke like that nice try though. Shy is shy. You horn dogs love to joke like that. We don't.

• Show All
    • He has balls lol

• lol tbh i was very shy growing up, but then i met someone who helped me get *less shy* i still haven't gotten the courage to ask my crush out but im not nearly as shybas before

• Jokes from boys are half meant

0|0
    0|0
  • Na he creepy

1|0
    0|0
  • There is a lot of truth said in jest..

0|0
    0|0
  • There's always a shred of truth in jest

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah any gender does it

0|0
    0|0
  • Jokes are true statements with attached disclaimers. It's pretty obvious you are getting off on all of those comments though... you are a perv.

0|0
    0|0
  • Neither, both. There's no one answer, it could be just a joke one time and then a hinty joke the next. You can't know without taking initiative so don't try to read his mind.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not sure

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 6

• I like joking a lot but i dont mean most of the things i say... becuase its just a joke. some people might have a deeper meaning to it though

0|0
    0|0
  • It may just be his personality and how he is with everyone, but either way, if he's constantly saying this stuff, it's borderline pretty creepy, joke or not.

0|0
    0|0
  • there's a part of Truth in every joke

0|0
    0|0
  • 50 % always true

0|0
    0|0
  • I think so

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah sometimes