Is there a certain kind of truth in a joke/teasing?

If a guy jokingly tells you stuff like: "I'd do you", " Downside of being attractive", "I'd stalk you" , etc.
I told my friend he shouldn't think much of it, but he told me there's a truth in every joke.

• Yes
  • A joke is just a joke

722

Most Helpful Guy

• Of course.

Jokes a at their core are an evolved behavior to communicate.

There had to be a truth for them to communicate. A reason we evolved and maintain the behavior.

They are largely twisted and used for many things now but at their core like most myths most jokes have a hint of truth even if we don't realize it at the time.

Cause and effect. Every action, every word has a reason behind it. The only question is can you find it?

You sound like you have a clever friend, I'd listen to that one.

• Both your poll questions have the same answer by the way. A joke is a joke and joke is a means to communicate a truth indirectly.

To attack a position indirectly, to teach, to hint, to flirt, to simply break the ice. It always has a meaning.

• I never implied nor said otherwise, just the opposite actually.

Perhaps you should read a bit more carefully.

• Oh, no joke!
      Let me reiterate. I concur.

Most Helpful Girl

• the point of jokes is to put something, someone, or some idea down by demeaning it either overtly or discreetly. What word's he's saying don't matter that much, but jokes on you, he's saying he can do anything he wants to, to you. Basically subconsciously shifting himself in a position of higher power. All jokes do this, but sexist jokes are more obvious. "guys will be guys" is bs and if they realized how many times their humor directly "translated as this" they'd hopefully think twice.