Is it worth it to keep talking to someone if you know it won’t lead to a relationship?

I met this guy about a week ago and we’ve been talking nonstop. We’ve just really clicked and I’ve had more meaningful conversations with him than I have with half my friends. However, he’s a senior in college and is going to be graduating and moving to another state in two months. This means that there’s no way this will lead to a relationship. Should I keep talking to him? I’ve tremendously enjoyed the conversations we’ve had but I’ve grown to like him really fast and don’t want to just end up hurt when he leaves. So basically, is it worth it to hang out with someone and just enjoy the time you have now or is it better to stop sooner and not get hurt since I already know he’s leaving?

• Keep talking to him
    Vote A
  • Stop talking to him
    Vote B
  • Still talk to him, but less
    Vote C
  • Other (please explain!)
    Vote D
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• If it's making you happy then keep doing it. Even if it's only a few months it's worth it.
    And who knows, the world is a strange place, maybe it will be something more. I'm sure it wouldn't be impossible to do a long distance thing if it's what you both wanted, or maybe later in life your paths will cross again.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I was in this exact spot about two years ago. I clicked with this guy but knew after a year he was going to leave. I chose to still keep him in my life because he was cool and we got on really well. But I was reserved about my feelings because I knew that he was leaving in a moments notice and that would just leave me missing him if I got emotionally attached.

Turns out he ended up liking me back and saw me more than just a friend too but we couldn't act on it because he was leaving. We still keep in touch every now and then.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 67

• If you feel such a quick bond with him. . . why couldn't it lead to a relationship?

1|0
    0|0
    • I used to have a bond with a guy I met 3 years ago we had been on dates twice and make out session but i just consider him sa a friend cause the guy does not want to be involved in a relationship or wants to get married or anything serious but he only wants sex

• @kitty71 You had a once-sided relationship. You were into it but he just wanted to use you. Hopefully, @Princess-alexandra can develop more than that with this guy.

• I agree with the people questioning the option of it ending. My girlfriend and I have been in a long distance relationship for over a year. If you truly believe in that click you guys have, don’t let it end over something like that. You can always meet back up.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's ultimately your time which each of us only have so much of. Maybe you should ask him how he feels about it. Guys and girls can be just good friends but future romantic interests on both sides will likely see them as competition. Eventually you'll probably grow apart to protect your future love interests.

0|0
    0|0
  • Listen, you have found someone who could be the one for you. In a million people, there is a small chance you will ever meet the perfect person for you. Its like two shooting stars passing eachother in space. Are you going to let that slip by you just because he is moving away? Keep talking, entertain the idea that you can reunite in the future if it is meant to be. Please just dont throw it away!

1|0
    0|0
  • Keeo talking to him instead, and why do you think it isn't gonna be a relationship because he move to another state? hey relationship is about trust, communication, and consistency.
    So the distance won't be a matter, if you really like him, keep talking to him

1|0
    0|0
  • You don't know if it won't become a relationship. You're just assuming that it won't because of where he is in life.
    But I believe you should keep in contact because you don't know what life has in store for you.

1|0
    0|0
  • why can't we be friends, why can't we be friends... yeah why not you never know where it might go down the line, you never know if its for the good that you guys are not in a relationship but just friends, you never know the person might save your life one day.

0|0
    0|0
  • In your situation, I'd try to meet up with him. When you do, you could ask him if he likes you back. If not, you can choose to talk less or don't talk at all.

If he does want a relationship, then what's the stop you :p long distance relationships are very common these days

0|0
    0|0
  • Keep talking.

And in general:

If anyone thinks talking to someone won't lead to a relationship its okay. Keep talking to them because it gives you an opportunity to meet her friends/sisters who might be single.

0|0
    0|0
  • If you really like him and enjoy his company then keep talking to him but slowly reduce the time you spend with him so that you can still enjoy a good friendship with him but at the same time you won't get hurt too much... But if you are afraid of getting hurt then you should stop talking to him that much and if you feel like you can handle your feelings for him then enjoy what little time you have left together...

0|0
    0|0
  • There is nothing stopping you two from being friend.. you clicked together... I would recommand to not overthink this... if your meant to be together... it's not two states that will stop you... just go with the flow girl! Take Care

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes. This is because talking helps you understand about you. How you are? Plus you may have idea about the person you are talking with. Opposite gender may have the idea of opposites also. Connectivity is productivity. More you want to know knock my snapchat @blueshombit

0|0
    0|0
  • Is it worth it to build a relationship that isn't a romantic one? Uhh yeah... I think they call those friends...

0|0
    0|0
  • Keep going, and enjoy it. You never know what could happen in the future. It may be some time down the road, or you will always have the memories. Either way, don't miss out.

0|0
    0|0
  • am sure if u r confident, u would never get a doubt if that relationship would works or not. U r lost there girl. there r many guys who deserve u , pick one who can stick with u forever. Am sure u r good recruiter, all girls r tho. leave him not bcoz he cheated u but leave him for getting graduated real quick (jk) , sorry for that. good luck with ur future boyfriend 😍 take care honey peace ✌🏻

0|0
    0|0
  • Why not be friends? You can have guys you enjoy talking to without dating them.

1|0
    0|0
  • Never know what the future holds
    Plus some of my best female friends are mutual crushes that had bad timing

Years later we still talk and are close but no pressure to hook up

0|0
    0|0
  • Keep talking to him dear that's the best thing that comes out of a good friendships ok but tell him how you feel about him and How you will feel if he should leave ok something good will come out of that ok

1|0
    1|0
  • Life does not revolve around sex and relationships. You're having meaningful conversation so just make the best of what you have now and if he goes he goes. Not doing thing in the fear of getting hurt is the stupidest decision one can make.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think this way at least u have a friend. That u did not have before. So it goes no where u want it to go. But still can hang out and have a good time when he comes home and in later in life. Never know what can happen

0|0
    0|0
  • Be Straight forward.. the best way. Tell him the things wats makin all not right. what actually you feel open it up.. if he really wants uh then he will strt to change things. N uh might feel better

1|0
    0|0
  • Well, that's me every time nowadays. I keep talking to girls because I'm genuinely nice and like talking to them but I know it won't turn into a relationship.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well you should keep talking to him and even if he travel an occasional call or text message will be great even if its not going to lead to a relationship!

1|0
    0|0
  • How will u ever know life is short and long at the same time and y not keep a good person u click with on speed dial the world is corrupt follow ur heart even In the dark

0|0
    0|0
  • Of course, friends or just acquintances you get along with well are precious. Especially when you're in trouble and they're there to help out :D

0|0
    0|0
  • If a relationship is what you're looking for with the person, then I suggest not to keep talking to him, if you just want to be friends and then slowly veryyy slowly find your way to his heart.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's worth it if you think a good friendship can be honed from doing so.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, there might be no future as he is leaving soon. But, your feelings deserves to be expressed. And he deserves to know. At least you won't left wondering what if... go for it !!

0|0
    0|0
  • Of course you should keep talking to him. Just because there isn't a romantic future for you doesn't mean you can't be great friends.

0|0
    0|0
  • As long as you make the line clear and they know that's the case... Then it's fine... But you have to make that clear...

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 34

• if you're enjoying his company, sure.. carry on.

0|0
    0|0
  • Talk to him about it. I would mention that you really enjoy the conversations that you guys had and if he feels the same. And would it be crazy if it meant more. Everything seems nice, it doesn't hurt to try regardless 2 months from now or now. If its meant to be, then it will happen. Good luck!

0|0
    0|0
  • Keep talking to him but make sure you can control your feeling. As you said he's going away in 2 months. Don't develop feelings for him otherwise you'll end up hurting your own feelings. If you can't see him as a friend , stop talking to him.

0|0
    0|0
  • Romance doesn't have to be immediate. Even if there's not gonna be anything, you'll still leave with good rapport and who knows one day your paths will cross again. Maybe, separate with a cheeky note haha who knows, something for him to remember you by. 😉

0|0
    0|0
  • sure keep talking to him. There's nothing wrong with having a friendship with someone whose conversation you enjoy. As far as a dating relationship goes, it's worth a conversation with him about where you both see things going before you begin picking honeymoon locations... and getting hurt.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's emotionally risky, but I would say keep talking with him. You never know where things might go in the future, and even if it doesn't turn into a relationship you could still end up having a great friend.

If you just cut off contact and walk away you might end up playing the "what if" game down the road and regret it more.

0|0
    0|0
  • Why are your only options relationship or no relationship? Why not stay friends? If you have a connection, why not keep it going? Who says he'll stop talking to you when he moves?

0|0
    0|0
  • @Princess-alexandra only if you're not going to fall for him. There's nothing wrong with developing friendships. Just cause you talk with people doesn't mean it has to lead to something more.

0|0
    0|0
  • In my opinion, of course, you should! It doesn't matter where the relationship is going, especially because you think you know but you have no idea! I don't think we are suitable in life with many people, hence we should really take an opportunity if we think there is a chance of anything.

0|0
    0|0
  • What's wrong with it leading to a great friendship? You never know what may happen later in life, if you both click this well - why stop from enjoying each other now.

0|0
    0|0
  • You never know what the future holds. Just enjoy the here & now & see what happens. Worst case scenario, you’ve found a really good friend.

1|0
    0|0
  • If you're ok with being friends and don't catch feelings easily, then still talk but less. Don't invest your time with him you know isn't gonna be your man while you could be spending time with another guy

0|0
    0|0
  • You can keep talking to him all you want, but just be realistic about your expectations. Maybe he can just be your friend.

0|0
    0|0
  • Worth what? If you know it won't lead to what you want, then why would you continue?

0|0
    0|0
  • Why should his moving away prevent you from having a relationship?

0|0
    0|0
  • You could still be friends, or keep the contact alive, you could visit sometime, who knows...

1|0
    0|0
  • Nope. Stop talking sooner than later. Save yourself.

0|0
    0|0
  • Keep talking to him. It's rare to click that well with people.

0|0
    0|0
  • Keep talking to him, chemistry and relationship are no distance

0|0
    0|0
  • If you are really into him, sometimes it's better to move on.

0|0
    0|0
  • What's wrong with having male friends?

0|0
    0|0
  • Oof quite the predicament

0|0
    0|0
  • It's a waste of time

0|0
    0|0
  • You can just be friends.

0|0
    0|0
  • Talking is not only for relationships

0|0
    0|0
  • Nothing wrong with friends

0|0
    0|0
  • Still talk to him but stay in the friendzone.

0|0
    0|0
  • Move on snd find a guy leaving nearby.

0|0
    0|0
  • If you like them as a person, sure. Why not.

0|0
    0|0
  • Take a shot and see where it leads.

I didn’t think my boyfriend and I would last when I first considered dating him. I took a risk and I’ve learned a lot about myself and felt actuall love. I had some cool adventures. I wouldn’t be surprised if it ended at some point still (I hope not though), but even if it did, I wouldn’t regret it.

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Girls

Recommended myTakes