Would you date someone with mental health issues?

I'm talking about if you knew about it up front. I know a lot of people are gonna say things like "it's totally okay to have mental health issues. I'd still love them no matter what". But if you think about it, if we have a subconscious bias against people who have physical problems, we might also have it for those with mental problems.

I know a lot of people who found out after they started dating, so feelings were already developed. But what if you found out before you even started being interested. Would you still consider them for dating?

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• My first serious boyfriend had schizophrenia. Proper voices-in-the-head, hallucinating schizophrenia. I was about 19 at the time and I knew before hand.

It was hard, very hard. Especially when his medication started to wear off. Im not so sure I'd do it again. I'm not sure I could date someone who suffers from depression badly either. I don't think I'm strong enough to support someone else when I'm feeling like shit.

People are always going on about Mental Health and how we should make more effort and drop the stigma... Then you see someone in town losing the plot and everyone stares at the floor and shuffles by... Mental Health Awareness my fucking arse. All very well sharing a post on Facebook, takes a lot more to actually step up and help someone.

0|2
    0|0
    • Exactly, it's all well and good when it's an idea but try taking someone into your home while being worried that their hallucination might cause them to kill you in your sleep. My wife has schizophrenia so I know exactly what you're saying.

• @Errantsquire just try talking to them, most people can't even manage that but repost endless shit about mental illness and caring for depressed people yadda yadda yadda... I'm yet to see it convert into a proper social change in attitude but these things take time... And mental illness can be a very dangerous thing indeed. It isn't just sad, misunderstood people moping about. There are really dangerous people out there who need help.

Most Helpful Guy

• My ex had some mental health history. Also physical medical conditions. It didn't matter to me. I knew about it all up front, we'd talked though a lot if things, including my own mental health issues.
    As long as someone is upfront about things, within a reasonable time frame (obviously not going to be first date), then you can work with it.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 25

• Depends on the severity and what kind of mental health issue.
    I've battled with depression, and nowadays I'm battling with a lot of anxiety. I'm still in a relationship though, because I do what's necessary to take care of myself and my mental health, and I don't let it affect my relationship. I also communicate with my boyfriend about what I'm going through and let him know if I'm having a really tough day, just so that he'll know what's going on.
    I wouldn't mind dating someone who's on the same level as me in terms of mental health issues, because just because I'm battling with these things, it doesn't automatically make me incapable of being in a relationship.
    However, I've definitely met a few people who weren't even close to being in the right headspace, in order to be capable of also having a relationship. Severe depression which results in the negligence of personal hygiene, suicidal thoughts, being incapable of working etc. is a no-no for me. Extreme social anxiety wouldn't work for me either, because even though I'm an introvert, I'd still like to be able to go out, travel, and do things outside with other people with my partner. I also don't think I'd be very good at handling someone with a multiple personality disorder, or someone who sees things/hears voices that aren't there, to the point where they don't know what's real or what isn't. So pretty extreme cases, I guess.
    "Mental health issue" is such a big umbrella term, so I hope I gave your question justice by defining it a tiny bit.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well it depends on what kind of mental problems he has and if it's controllable with medication. For example Bipolar can controlled with medication. But schizophrenia is harder to control. They get depressed and they won't be the same. If he's really taking his medicine regularly and i know he won't just go crazy and kill me, yes i don't mind dating him. And actually it takes a lot to tell people you have mental health issues i appreciate his honesty

0|0
    0|0
  • Lmao I'm on so much medication to try abd treat my mental illnesses that I kinda just act like a zombie the majority of the time. I can't go to school either, so I would assume that I don't have proper social skills and that people wouldn't want to put up with me. But my girlfriend has anxiety and depression so yeah, I would.

0|0
    0|0
  • I myself have mental health issues so it would allow us to empathise with each other. However, my current boyfriend doesn’t suffer from mental health issues and was aware of my relationship with mental health prior to dating.
    He has said in the past that knowing further emphasised his desire to care for me.

1|0
    0|0
  • I have Borderline, "BPD". I wouldn't want to date me, and I honestly don't know how anyone puts up with me. But I'm very thankful that I do have some good true friends that understand my struggles, and don't take it personally when I have an episode.

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends on the mental illness and severity of it. If it's bad then no since I'm in a pretty bad place with my own issues and the only reason I date someone is if they can handle with my problems and not be affected badly themselves by it.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't know. I guess, it depends. I will cross the bridge when I get there.

1|0
    0|0
  • No. I have mental health issues myself, and I couldn’t deal with somebody else’s simultaneously. I would be open to dating someone who has struggled with mental health in the past though.

0|0
    0|0
  • I personally would not only because I have Aspergers and I don’t think adding another mental illness or disability to the fold would work. But I don’t see anything inherently wrong with dating someone with an illness.

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends to what to degree, I have mental health issues myself and it's great to be able to relate to someone and also help them out by using my own experiences but at the same time being in the position that I'm in if I'm around someone constantly I don't think I'd be able to cope with someone with serious mental health issues. Not because it's unattractive or anything but because I personally wouldn't be able to keep myself afloat if the person closest to me was on the same 'dark side' that I was on.

0|0
    0|0
  • I told my now boyfriend on our first date I had OCD and ADHD but he didn’t mind because I’m medicated and I’m very strong minded and intelligent. I wouldn’t mind as long as they are medicated

0|0
    0|0
  • I would consider it but if it proves to be too much than I can handle then I’ll have to end it. They’ll hopefully find someone who can deal with it better than I can.

0|0
    0|0
  • Of course, I would like to help them and support them

0|1
    0|0
  • Yeah I would because that situation is what I’m currently dealing with at the moment

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't know. I had a mental illness and are currently healing from it and I don't know if I want his problems too

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm really sorry to say this but I'd like to say no

0|0
    0|0
  • I am dating someone with mental health issues 😊👍

0|0
    0|0
  • yes I would date them, support them and help them.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes. Because Im already Crazy as fuck.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes.

0|0
    0|0
  • No because I am crazy enough! 😂

0|0
    0|0
  • I would date them

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes of course

0|0
    0|0
  • No I wouldn't.

0|0
    0|0
  • No I wouldn't

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 24

• Don't do it, you're in for a world of hurt. My wife has been committed 3 times over 9 years and 90% of the time spent with her over the years were not good. The kids suffered and we're divorcing now. There were early warning signs, but I let love blind me.

Only go in if you're ready to get to a point where you will take care of her like a child. Her mother is seeking guardianshipship now because she doesn't live in the same reality that the rest of us do.

0|0
    1|0
  • It would depend what those mental issues were and whether or not that person was getting treated for it. Mental issues would never stop me from being someone's friend but it would be difficult to start dating someone who I knew had a major mental disorder that was going untreated.

1|0
    0|0
  • I have no problem dating anything type of girl with problems or no problems. She can be crazy in the head, and might kill me in the process. I would still date her. She could have down syndrome, I would still date her.

1|0
    0|0
  • Depends on what the issue is, I'd take it case by case. I've dated someone knowing they were depressed

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends on what issue they have, some aren't as severe as say, compulsive lying, which is a deal breaker in my mind.

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends.
    If it leads to/has led to suicidal thoughts - no.
    If it's depression and it's a burden - no.

0|0
    0|0
  • Help them yes so after she's back to normal I can date her
    Believe me you don't want to make someone who has mental issues mad

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends on if its perminate, no one wants a drag. But ophra had mental illness and look at her change. Her smile became a billion bucks..

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah. I don't care about their mental health. I just care that they're happy and loved. I would still consider dating them.

0|0
    0|0
  • Hell no if I knew before hand I would stay away, life is already filled with drama do. t need more

0|0
    0|0
  • No, which is a bit hypocritical considering I’m bipolar.

0|0
    0|0
  • No if she believed it she lost have the battle of lifr

0|0
    0|0
  • If that person is seeking help and working to get better I'd go on a date

0|0
    0|0
  • It would depend on how under control their symptoms were and the severity of them.

0|0
    0|0
  • Depending on how severe it is.

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends if the person is stable.

1|0
    0|0
  • no damn way. if you like drama ho ahead

0|1
    0|0
  • I'd pass, I don't want kids with mental issues.

0|1
    0|0
  • It depends

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope

0|0
    0|0
  • Sure.

0|0
    0|0
  • Dating

0|0
    0|0
  • Have done, Will do and shall keep doing. A broken arm wouldn't make us break up so why should mental health

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes, if thier homest about it and i know what i am grtting my self into

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes