Would you date someone with mental health issues?

I'm talking about if you knew about it up front. I know a lot of people are gonna say things like "it's totally okay to have mental health issues. I'd still love them no matter what". But if you think about it, if we have a subconscious bias against people who have physical problems, we might also have it for those with mental problems.

I know a lot of people who found out after they started dating, so feelings were already developed. But what if you found out before you even started being interested. Would you still consider them for dating?

2625

Most Helpful Girl

• My first serious boyfriend had schizophrenia. Proper voices-in-the-head, hallucinating schizophrenia. I was about 19 at the time and I knew before hand.

It was hard, very hard. Especially when his medication started to wear off. Im not so sure I'd do it again. I'm not sure I could date someone who suffers from depression badly either. I don't think I'm strong enough to support someone else when I'm feeling like shit.

People are always going on about Mental Health and how we should make more effort and drop the stigma... Then you see someone in town losing the plot and everyone stares at the floor and shuffles by... Mental Health Awareness my fucking arse. All very well sharing a post on Facebook, takes a lot more to actually step up and help someone.

• Exactly, it's all well and good when it's an idea but try taking someone into your home while being worried that their hallucination might cause them to kill you in your sleep. My wife has schizophrenia so I know exactly what you're saying.

• @Errantsquire just try talking to them, most people can't even manage that but repost endless shit about mental illness and caring for depressed people yadda yadda yadda... I'm yet to see it convert into a proper social change in attitude but these things take time... And mental illness can be a very dangerous thing indeed. It isn't just sad, misunderstood people moping about. There are really dangerous people out there who need help.

Most Helpful Guy

• My ex had some mental health history. Also physical medical conditions. It didn't matter to me. I knew about it all up front, we'd talked though a lot if things, including my own mental health issues.
    As long as someone is upfront about things, within a reasonable time frame (obviously not going to be first date), then you can work with it.