I am dating a military man who is about to go into the marines basic training. What to expect?

So I am dating a man that is about to go into the military and have 14 weeks of basic training. At the moment, I’m not worried about it because that’s less than three weeks away; however, I’m concerned about what could happen. I never dated someone who is about to leave and do something so courageous like the military. I have done long distant relationships before, ended horribly, but that was different—the guy I was with wasn’t a man. What should I prepare for and what to expect during these two months? I know we may not see each other for awhile and the communication will become obsolete or distant once he gets into the base, but I’m prepared, I think? Any advice?

1|0

Most Helpful Guy

• 1. Expect little contact. He will be constantly on the move training and get himself ready for his career. Don't take it personally. In fact, be glad you don't get a call from him every day. That's one way to ruin a relationship.

2. He won't come back the same person. He will have a different demeanor, and he will talk to you differently when he gets back. Beware, most privates also like to showboat when they get back. he might want to probe hes'a tougher man than he was before.

3. Lastly, be prepared to either break-up, or be asked to get married. He's going to learn both the positives of dating and marrying in the military. They will teach him all the benefits (healthcare, extra money, housing, etc), but that will only apply when he's married. So, that means, wherever he gets stationed at, if you want to stick together, you have to be prepared for more long distance (which I don't recommend), follow him wherever he gets stationed on yours and his own dime, or get married so you can be moved to where he is (which I don't recommend if you just started dating).

I was not a Marine, I was US Army for 9 years, but it's all the same when it comes to the military relationships. Feel free to ask me anything if you want.

2|2
    0|0
    • Spot on!

• Show All
    • I see! Thanks for the advice, I’ll keep that in mind. I never had a relationship that involves something so much more responsibility and patience like a military boyfriend. I researched about USMC and I think basic training is going to be tough, but I believe in him that he’ll do great! I just have to prepare and just accept that he’s going to be working out.

*Plus side* my man is going to be looking like a snack when he gets out 😏😏 lol jk

• Ha ha. Eat him up. He'll appreciate it. There are plus sides to dating military, and if physical fitness is important to your tastes, you won't be disappointed.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Expect him to grow in confidence, determination, and courtesy. All the marines I know are great people. I'm sure there are bad apples, but that's not the rule in my experience.

4|0
    0|0
  • You have 3 jobs as a military girlfriend.
    Be a good listener.
    Fuck his brains out every chance.
    And don't fucking cheat.
    Follow that and you'll be alright.

3|0
    0|0
  • Write him frequently if you feel like it. Getting letters in basic helps.

1|0
    0|0
  • As many others said, nothing good will come out of this, i was in the army and believe me when i say my whole life spiraled out of control because of it.

0|0
    1|0
  • Letters, they can’t really talk and if they get them they’re calling their parents mostly but they should write you and you can write them! Then a huge welcome home hug! My husband in the military

0|0
    0|0
  • joining the military is not courageous, it's stupid. We all know politicians are corrupt and that the military is used for corrupt purposes, why would you agree to serve corrupt masters? A lot of men join the military because it will get them respect and women, let's work together as a society to take away both of those incentives and maybe one day we can have peace.

The military has never defended, only ever attacked, civil militias have defended america before but not the federal military.

Tell him you'll break up with him if he joins the army because you disagree with it morally.

You cannot be a moral being and serve in the army. You give up your right to make decisions once you join, you become a dog, an order follower who does not make moral judgements, just obeys without question.

0|0
    3|1
    • Negative Nancy, over here. Pass judgement, much?

• Show All
    • O didn't day they'd have whether or not there was an army. I said they works of there want an army. We wouldn't stand a chance.

• @MadManInBlueBox dude please re write that so I can understand what you are trying to say

• Most army girlfriends, wives that I know cheat.

0|0
    1|0
    • That's because most of them were rushed into a relationship, or they married they're HS sweethearts. It's almost impossible to date in the military long enough to get a good picture because you're always on the move.

• Show All
    • @MadManInBlueBox before you speak another word that I have to waste time reading. Go ahead and read my original comment.

• Just wait for him for 2 months

0|1
    1|0
  • Nothing good..

0|0
    0|0
  • Nothing

0|0
    1|0
  • A very short haircut

0|1
    0|0