I am dating a military man who is about to go into the marines basic training. What to expect?

So I am dating a man that is about to go into the military and have 14 weeks of basic training. At the moment, I’m not worried about it because that’s less than three weeks away; however, I’m concerned about what could happen. I never dated someone who is about to leave and do something so courageous like the military. I have done long distant relationships before, ended horribly, but that was different—the guy I was with wasn’t a man. What should I prepare for and what to expect during these two months? I know we may not see each other for awhile and the communication will become obsolete or distant once he gets into the base, but I’m prepared, I think? Any advice?

213

Most Helpful Guy

• 1. Expect little contact. He will be constantly on the move training and get himself ready for his career. Don't take it personally. In fact, be glad you don't get a call from him every day. That's one way to ruin a relationship.

2. He won't come back the same person. He will have a different demeanor, and he will talk to you differently when he gets back. Beware, most privates also like to showboat when they get back. he might want to probe hes'a tougher man than he was before.

3. Lastly, be prepared to either break-up, or be asked to get married. He's going to learn both the positives of dating and marrying in the military. They will teach him all the benefits (healthcare, extra money, housing, etc), but that will only apply when he's married. So, that means, wherever he gets stationed at, if you want to stick together, you have to be prepared for more long distance (which I don't recommend), follow him wherever he gets stationed on yours and his own dime, or get married so you can be moved to where he is (which I don't recommend if you just started dating).

I was not a Marine, I was US Army for 9 years, but it's all the same when it comes to the military relationships. Feel free to ask me anything if you want.

• Spot on!

• I see! Thanks for the advice, I’ll keep that in mind. I never had a relationship that involves something so much more responsibility and patience like a military boyfriend. I researched about USMC and I think basic training is going to be tough, but I believe in him that he’ll do great! I just have to prepare and just accept that he’s going to be working out.

*Plus side* my man is going to be looking like a snack when he gets out 😏😏 lol jk

• Ha ha. Eat him up. He'll appreciate it. There are plus sides to dating military, and if physical fitness is important to your tastes, you won't be disappointed.