Would you date a guy that doesn't drink?

I quit drinking a year and 4 months ago. I'm 24. The biggest surprise was the way women respond to it. No matter how many dates we went on or how well things are going, 100% of them stop talking to me the moment I tell them I don't drink (sometimes literally that moment). Every single time. I keep it to myself until it comes up in conversation, I refuse to lie about it. I don't have a problem being around it nor do I judge, and I make that clear.

Why tho?

be brutally honest. I'll answer any questions. I don't really get offended and like I said, I don't judge. I just really want to understand

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Because I can't have as good of a time with my friends if we're all drinking and you're not. You'll complain about how sloppy my friends are being for being well, stupid drunks. I'll feel bad that you're not having a good time, but I'm also with my friends and when I get "warm" and start forgetting to go out of my way to make you comfortable, you'll feel actively uncomfortable and then we'll probably fight about it later, espciecially if I want to go out 1-2 a week. It's about lifestyle, and you're young, so many girls are just reveling in the freedom that they CAN legally drink so it's something you can't "share" together. Good for you for sticking to your guns, it takes maturity, but girls just wanna have fun lol

1|1
    0|0
    • That's the thing tho. I understand it's not their job to make me comfortable especially when I'm choosing to place myself in an uncomfortable situation. If I'm uncomfortable that's my problem. And if I couldn't get comfortable for some reason I'd leave before I ended up buzzkilling a good night. I can't argue with someone over the uncomfortable bed I made myself. Thats childish and unfair. And trust me there's a reason I don't drink. I have no room whatsoever to judge people when I know I've done much worse. Im totally fine with going out. There's a satisfaction in the challenge of confidently being myself without alcohol in the presence of strangers.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 31

• My boyfriend also doesn't drink and me too and I like that... I have bad memories from people drinking so I hate it

1|2
    0|0
  • If you had drinking problem i might get A second thought, because i already have to much on my own plate. But if you gave up on drinking just because you wanted to , that's sexy and cool it my opinion. And i'd date you

0|1
    0|0
    • I did have a drinking problem. Cold turkeyed. I'm so much happier now tho the pros of not drinking outweigh the feeling so much being around it doesn't even phase me now. I saved thousands over the last year, I'm able to get so much more done, and I stay pretty lean even if I stop working out, keeping my bodyfat low is super easy and I come from a pretty overweight family. Guess I've replaced the addiction with self improvement and learning everything I can get my hands on.

• That's really good. I'm happy for you. And not drinking Alcohol is not a real reason to break up. It's either there was other reasons for them or they were so shallow minded.

• Yes. I prefer to be with a guy that's "teetotal " I don't drink either. I did when I was at college , but I dislike the taste of alcohol now

0|2
    0|0
  • Definitely. When I was younger and was partying a lot, this would have probably bothered me I would have seen it as party-pooping (very immature and selfish, I know). But well, here I am now, not so young anymore and with completely different priorities in life.

Also, overcoming a problem like that and being consistent about it shows willpower and is generally an attractive trait.

0|0
    0|0
  • Like wtf.. What do people think they fucking are? If u dont want to drink then dont do it.. u can also have the time of ur life without beeing drunk. For myself idc bout it if smn drink or not, i think its great that u dont do it when u dont want to, so anyway there is no risk u could turn into a alcoholic or cheat on smn when u re drunk.. dont listen to this crazy society and be who u re !

0|1
    0|0
  • Yeah; I'll date you as long as you don't have a problem with me drinking. I guess they think you would be no fun? I don't get that one myself. I guess it's kind of like being a vegan. I don't talk to them. Not because I don't like then but because we know there's a handful of them that would try and force their ways or get pissed if we eat meat or something.

0|0
    0|0
  • I would rather date a guy that doesn't drink personally, and had that opportunity once. It was a lot less stressful.

0|1
    0|0
  • Why not? That's one less problem to be paranoid about tho bc that means he'll never go to clubs so he'll never do stupid stuff!

1|1
    0|0
  • Yes. Those are my favorite types of guys. Guys who drink often or too much are too much and crazy. I prefer a guy that doesn't drink at all or only for special occasions. Party boys are not my type.

1|1
    0|0
  • Lol seriously? They lose interest in someone who doesn't poison his body? Where tf is the world going to.

0|1
    0|0
  • Woahh !!! Why did they turn you down? You dont drink fine by me. It becomes a problem when you don't want the others to Do so or if you don't want to go out with her and/or your friends.

0|1
    0|0
  • That's really odd... I actually look for guys that's don't drink and if they do, its an automatic no for me.

But I can only presume girls that drink stop talking to u because they prolly have this notion that only uptight people don't drink?
    My brother also once explained to me that when people are at a party and you drink a coke instead of a bear... the people around u feel uncomfortable because they are drinking and becoming vulnerable while you aren't. So maybe they feel like they can't drink around u since they feel like you aren't "playing the game with them"?
    That's the only possible explanation I can think of... which to me is stupid. So I wouldn't feel too badly about it, I feel if those girls hold alcohol to such a standard that they won't date someone who isn't into it, they aren't really worthy of a serious relationship. Alcohol always complicates things... they are actually doing una favour

0|0
    0|0
  • For me it's not a dealbreaker, but I'd definitely prefer someone who enjoys drinking socially. I live in a big city and there's lots to do, but I'm in my early 20s and a lot of my social life involves drinking.

0|0
    0|0
    • So this brings me to another point. Assuming I go out just like I would if I drank. Like nothing changes about the experience other than water being in my glass rather than alcohol. Assuming I still have just as much fun and I'm outgoing & fun to be around.

The only people getting uncomfortable at that point are people that know I'm not drunk while they are. that seems more like their problem than mine right?

Why do I also have to be drunk for everyone else to have fun? I don't understand how that's my issue ya know? Hopefully that makes sense. I just find it strange that that's normal and totally overlooked.

• Maybe. I would like to go drinking with my partner sometimes because it's fun, but it wouldn't be an instant no, just a negative factor.

0|1
    0|0
  • I would love a guy who doesn't drink. Although my boyfriend does drink and I really don't care.

0|1
    0|0
  • I dont see a problem with it tbh. I don't drink either, I tried twice and hated it and I've never had anyone had a problem with it so I don't know.

0|0
    0|0
  • I dont know bro people give the same reaction. I am in the same boat as you. When you find out let me know.

0|0
    0|0
  • Why should you lie about it. After all, lying sometimes destroys relationship more than drinking.

0|1
    0|0
  • I totally would. You don't need to drink to have fun

0|1
    0|0
  • Drinking can lead to many problems. Better you not do :)

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes why not. Unless you are tell them they should stop drinking too

0|0
    0|0
  • I would... maybe that's because I don't drink myself..😊

0|0
    0|0
  • Probably not

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't drink either so yasss

0|1
    0|0
  • Would be nice actually

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes i will , im not into drinking guys

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes.

1|1
    0|0
  • yeah, I guess

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah, honestly I think I'd prefer it.

0|0
    0|0
  • My boyfriend doesn't drink or do drugs. I find it incredibly attractive considering I've smoked week and drank often at a point. I quit now though. I think it makes a man more respectable.

0|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Girls

Recommended myTakes