Tricky situation... I don't know what to do?

So I've been seeing this guy for several months now and we have (generally) a very honest, straightforward, and healthy relationship with a couple of headaches here and there... though it seems that we just came across the biggest one yet. His best friend is a girl, which in itself is not a problem -- one of my closest friends is a guy himself. But how she interacted with him, a certain degree of heavy reliance struck me as odd. Eventually my guy told me that they previously slept together (several years ago, before either of us came into each other's picture) which I didn't have a problem with either. Surprising, I know.

In fact, from what he described prior to me meeting her, they had a pretty healthy friendship. They had tried sleeping together, it didn't work for a multitude of reasons He wanted to protect and maintain their friendship intact, so they never advanced into a relationship, and both agreed to be friends.

Well, sort of.

It seems that there may have been some expectations on his friend's part that eventually, someday, they would start dating, so when she learned of the potential that he might be dating someone she "spiraled deep into despair," all while my guy remained perfectly oblivious. I tried to be understanding, even empathetic, but it was odd seeing her how the closer he got to me, the more she tried to pull him back. He never gave me cause for concern - he has been honest with me from the beginning - but it was still stung a little.

I have encouraged him to talk to her... if anything to make sure everyone was on the same page. He said it wouldn't change anything between us, that he knew where we stood. And yet after the conversation he asked for space. No reason given; other than it had nothing to do with me. I told him that I understood, that I cared, and that I would be glad to speak with him when he needed it. I haven't heard anything in the last couple of days...

I usually don't worry about these things, but I'm at a loss...

12