After having lunch with someone the first time meeting them, how do you know if it was a date?

I met with a guy who has been friends with some people I knew, he had originally asked if anyone was coming along, i said he could invite people if he wanted and he replied with he has no one to get he has no friends (jokingly). We ended up going alone and he was gentlemanly and very nice. When the check came he grabbed it but i asked if we could split and the waitress was there and she split it for us. After that I was supposed to leave but he said I should stay with him longer and we ended up walking around and joking around a lot. Since it was the first time we meet, he was shy and nervous and all the questions were get to know you kind of questions (mostly me asking him answering and showing me pictures of adventures and stuff).

01