Why did he ask me to say no when his friends told me to go out with them?

My 1 year boyfriend asked me if I wanted to go out with him and his college friends. I’ve never met them and I got happy that he wanted me to meet them finally but before I got to answer he texted me again telling me to say no. I asked him why and he got irritated. I asked him again and he said because he wants to send a screenshot to them of me saying no. I did so and when I asked him why don’t you want me to come with you he said no reason and changed the subject.
Why would he do that? Is he embarrassed about me? I’m honestly scared to find out the truth.
I’ve met his family and I’ve met some other friends of his, but it was because we bumped into them by accident. Even then he was perfectly fine he introduced me as his girlfriend and they seemed to like me. I also up until what happened never felt like he was hiding me so I don’t understand.

12