Would you say getting married at age 20 is too soon?

My boyfriend and I have been dating for seven months and he’s leaving to the military soon. I’ve supported him through whatever from the start and so has he. I’ve learned so much from him and I’ve gotten to learn about myself. I feel loved and I love him and I’ve never felt this for another guy.

The He only thing is, he asked if we wanted to get married in a year so that I’m able to live on base with him and he’s able to cover my education. I’m very flattered and I LOVE the idea of it, but is that too soon? I always told myself that if I ever got married, I’d want to wait 3 years before I got married to make sure it’s solid lol

but it then again I’ve heard of relationships ending after 13 years which is crazy, but also makes me question a lot.

As an American, or wherever you’re from, what’s your viewpoint?

913

Most Helpful Guy

• Seven months is not long, and you are so young that you probably have not really dated anyone else. I'm worried that it is too soon. I liked the way you wrote about your relationship -- you are mutually supportive. You are right to be worried about marrying at your age. If you do decide to marry him, then wait a few years before having children, and don't mess around with risky forms of contraception. If you can't take the pill reliably, then get an IUD or something that is about foolproof. A divorce without children is inconvenient, but is not a tragedy. Divorcing with children is misery.

Have you had the serious discussions that should come before marriage? Are you religiously compatible? Even if you have the same religion, are you equally committed to it? If you aren't, how are you going to resolve that? Do you want children? When? How do you imagine that you will run a household? What do you expect from him? What does he expect from you? What about finances? You both need some money to spend freely without input from the other. What about sex? Do you know what he fantasizes about? Does he know what you fantasize about?

• Depends. When we fight, we take however much time we need to cool down. (A few minutes to an hour);then we sit and talk

Or ewe usually just explain because th our points with an open mind and if we’re wrong, on sod us apologizes. Or we meet in the middle,

Most Helpful Girl

• 7 month’s is a REALLY short amount of time.

IF you do decide to get married I think you two should basically write up a contract that decides who is responsible for what

• In a year though, it’ll be a year and seven months? 😂 lol still too soon?

• That’s okay but thanks for taking time to answer though 😄 I appreciate it regardless and I did get some good advice from it