Would it hurt your feelings if you say "i love you" to your bf/gf and they dont say it back?

My boyfriend says i love you, but only sometimes. Like, once or twice a month, mostly when he is in a good mood.. And he doesn't say "i love you" back. He said he doesn't want me to expect him to say it back all the time, like a dog commanding to bark. He knows it frustrates me, and those words mean a lot to me. So he said he wants to say it when he feels strongly about it, and not just for the sake of saying it.

1523

Most Helpful Guy

• Men are not into saying it so much and it very typical for women to need to hear it often. Get confidence from the things he does for you and feel extra good when he says it when he really wants to and not just as a response. You may need it to hear it from him but they are empty words cause they do not come from his heart when it's just a response. I've witnessed myself how frustrated my girlfriend used to get over this, but accept men an women are very different about this. Find s middle ground where gets more space to express himself more spontaneously and it'll be much more rewarding. It does mean you have a bit of a hard task of not asking and providing the space which means your needs are not met initially. Once he is confident enough your not asking for a couple constant response hell loosen up and the end situation will be you not asking but will be getting more 'I love yous'. (Sorry for the long text :)

Most Helpful Girl

• Sounds like a difference in love languages. Words are important to you, but not to him. I recommend reading the Five Love Languages for a better understanding.

• I've heard about that. I asked him about it as well, how does he feel loved the most, but he said he doesn't know.

• If you've been together for a while, you may be able to guess. Otherwise, maybe both of you could read the book and get to know each other and yourselves a little better.

• Weve been dating for more than 2 years. Up to the middle if first year, we would text each other i love you daily. Morning and night. He said it became a routine so he stopped doing it