Was it a date? Is he interested or are we just going to be friends?

This guy is the introverted/inexperienced type. Majority of his friends are guys. And judging by his social media - he gets girl attention but he doesn't really give girls the light of day, essentially he doesn't do hook-ups and would rather find one girl. Anyway, I had never met him before, we were meeting for the first time but it wasn't a date specifically when we agreed to hang out. We have mutual friends and have messaged online about each others photos/hobbies, but those would just be compliments or so and he would eventually let it fizz and wouldn't reply. I gave up talking to him really. Then he saw a place i went to eat at a week ago and said it looked great and asked me why i didn't invite him (jokingly). I told him he should join me next time and then he planned a day for us to go, he offered to pick me up but I said it was okay because I would be on campus not at home. When we got there, he did reach for the tab, but I wasn't sure if he was doing it because it was a date or just to be a generous friend, so told him we'd split it, he sorta froze and then the waitress split it for us. He doesn't talk much and even asked me if he was awkward but he's not exactly shy he still talks and showed me his adventures and stuff. I was supposed to go back to campus after the food but he asked me to stay longer, and I did. We took a walk after in some stores and we joked around, and then we left. He didn't ask for my number, but he texted a bit the same day on social media and the day after. And then he also used my new picture to start a conversation after that.

01