Was this a date?

This guy asked me out but told me to bring a friend for his friend but that if I couldn't find a girl who'd be down, it would "just be a date between us two" (me and him).

Okay so I ended up bringing a friend to the movies with us as a sort of double date but neither of the men offered to pay for us for anything...

sooo wtf? I know this is 2018 and I can't expect the man to always pay but this was the first date and he didn't even offer snacks or the tickets although I heard him say "2 for **insert movie** please" but then called his friend over?
I like him but this was just the first date I've been on where the man didn't at least offer. I dont want to sound entitled at all!!! I just am not sure cause the whole thing was so casual and different than any date I've ever been on (this was also my first ever double date).

11