Why did he say you have to clean and cook when I was going to live with him?

i met this guy. we have been talking. i needed a place to stay and he said he had an extra room for me. he said you have to clean, cook, and no pets. lol am i room mate or maid? why did he say that?

28

Most Helpful Girl

• Personally, I’d say those are reasonable requests and are a common courtesy irrespective of whether you are paying rent.

Surely you were not expecting him to cook and clean for you?

You’re both going to be roommates so you have to pull your own weight and look after yourself.

I know when my guy and I live together, we already agreed that I’d do the cooking, baking and cleaning (my choice to do them) in addition to us both working. He agreed to do the dishes (I’d probably do them) and to kill the spiders (I’d be grateful if he only did that)!

Point is, when you live with someone whether in a relationship or roommate situation, there have to be compromises.

Most Helpful Guy

• He's obviously wise to the game and wants to lay down the ground rules. He doesn't want some lazy freeloader living in his place without contributing. I've been there before: chick needs a place to stay, you're dating her anyway, she moves in and expects everything to be done for her because her part time job is just sooooo haaaard, and then gets pissed when you expect her to wash some clothes or cook a meal or mop a floor.

I personally don't tell em shit. If they're not grateful enough to help out around the place without being told, l dump em and kick em out.