Help with a shy guy, so does he not like me?

This guy is the introverted/inexperienced type. And most all of his friends are guys. He gets girl attention but he doesn't really seem to care about them. Anyway, I had never met him before, we have mutual friends and have messaged online once or twice platonically, but those would fizz and wouldn't reply. I gave up talking to him really because of that. Then he saw a place i went to eat at a week ago and said it looked great and asked me why i didn't invite him (jokingly). I told him he should join me next time and then he planned a day for us to go, he offered to pick me up but I said it was okay when we got there, he did reach for the tab, but I wasn't sure if he was doing it because it was a date or just to be a generous friend, so told him we'd split it, he sorta froze and then the waitress split it for us. He doesn't talk much and even asked me if he was awkward but he's not exactly shy he still talks some. He said at before he had no friends to bring, and then during he said his friend was working. Was that a date Im not really sure? We spent some more time after that.

Long story short, he talked to me on social media later that night, the day after, but he always leaves me last to have said anything and doesn't reply. And so i didn't message him for a day, but then the next he replied to one of my snaps on my story. Again, he ends up reading it and not replying though. Maybe i am overthinking, but i just wanna know if i should bother with him or if he's not interested that way.
I should clarify, that he is very outgoing with his friends and social media and does dorky stuff online he doesn't care what people think. But he was VERY shy with me and I had to do most of the asking and probing. And in person he never mocks me or makes fun of me but he's makes fun of me in text jokingly

014

Most Helpful Guy

• Ehhhhhh, hard to tell.
    All i'm going to say is being a really shy guy myself, we appreciate the female taking initiative, especially when it comes to socialising - there's times where I just don't know what to say, so I won't message or reply. Just an idea, try bringing up something you think he can talk about, and then hopefully he can stem off from there.

I would say it's more a date than something random.
    Him not reply is strange, either he's like me and isn't good at socialising, or he is busy/not interested. Hard to tell though.

• Yeah he's too shy to initiate randomly I guess, he only initiates when replying to something I posted so he uses it as an excuse kind of.

• but then do you leave her hanging when you have nothing to say? Cos thats what he does - but if i post anything else he would reply to it.

• Yeah, if I don't think I can think of something interesting or whatever, then I won't reply till I can. Not sure how many guys are like me though.