My dad doesn't allow me to date until I'm 18. Do you agree with him?

I'm 17 years old. My dad always had this anti dating politic. It didn't bother me until I've met a special someone. This guy is a really great and sweet guy. He's a rare specimen those days, if I could express myself like that😂. We've been friends for quite a few time. He even knew about my previous crush (unsuccessful one). Our friendship grew into love (that was kinda inevitable😂).
But my dad doesn't allow me to date and he's really strict. My "boyfriend" wants to impress him somehow, helped us a lot around the house and still does.
My mom also is against me dating, but she isn't that radical.
The rest of my family and his family are totally supporting us.
What re you thinking about this situation?
  • Yes, I agree with your dad
  • No, I don't agree with your dad

218

Most Helpful Guy

• Unfortunately, my cat just walked on the keyboard and wiped out my fantastic 2000-character answer. So, I'll cut to the chase:
    1. Get the boy to meet your parents - either at home or at school. If at school, make sure it's dad.
    2. When dad meets the boy, make sure to sing the praises of this boy. Dad is looking for the following:
    A. What does the boy want to do when he grows up? Dad is interested in seeing if the boy has the instincts to be a good provider for you.
    B. What is the boy's family and family life like? Dad is interested in having little drama for you. Dysfunctional families lead to lots of drama for the in-law.
    C. What does the boy look like? Dad is interested in the boy's hygiene AND whether or not he follows fads. Looking clean and conservative is good here.
    D. Dad is also going to try to determine if the boy is a player and what his intentions to you are.
    3. Make sure the boy is courteous and good with mom. I CANNOT UNDERESTIMATE

• SHIT I WASN'T DONE.

It is vitally important that a person gets along fabulously with their "mother-in-law". She is ALWAYS the key. If the mother-in-law doesn't like you, the father-in-law won't hear the end of it. SO, the boy needs give a good impression to mom even more so than dad.

4. Ask for permission. If the boy is home with you, ask right there after singing the boy's praises and that your folks have gotten to know him. However, they might force you to discuss that privately after the boy has left. If the parents/dad meet the boy at school or somewhere else, after singing his praises, ask for permission in the car. It is best to ask for permission when both parents are present.

Trust me. I know this.

Basically though, the boy needs to treat this like a job interview. Imagine you are your father or mother. What sort of boy would you want to see be with your daughter? That's what the boy needs to present himself as.