Could you actually date someone with bipolar disorder?

I was in a relationship with a gentleman for about year before he broke up with me. He put the blame on my bipolar disorder and it has been driving me into a ditch. I was really in love, and I'm afraid to try again for the fear that if I fall in love again my partner will throw me away because of my mental illness. I've been thinking i should just keep it secret but I would feel like a liar ! Not only will I feel like a liar, they will just find me a completely difficult person to be around and think I'm on serious drugs if they see my manic episodes. Are there men that will actually accept living with someone their whole lives with a partner who suffers from a mental illness like mine?

24

Most Helpful Girl

• Sister, hang in there. Words cannot describe how much I feel for you. I'm 25 and never had the guts to have a long-term relationship, only short term, unfulfilling, wicked relationships for fear of them leaving me after seeing how messed up I am because of my BPD. It's not the same thing but kind of similar.

And yes, I would date a guy with bipolar disorder because I know the feels.

• Do u still feel that way? Should we go to counseling for that?

Most Helpful Guy

• Depends on the severity and how well under control it is.