Do you need to be happy with life to find love?

Everywhere I look for dating advice, they always say that if you're not happy by yourself, you can't properly love someone. Is this true? I'm not happy with my life right now, so does that mean I'm unlovable and I'm incapable of loving others?

3568

Most Helpful Girl

• It's a trap. You start being happy with your (single) life and then all of a sudden you realize you're doing so great that you don't even need a partner. And before you know it, you become this awesome person who achieved so many things because you focused on everything but love. You become a God practically. The happiest person in the world. It's like realizing that Santa doesn't exist, there's no turning back. And people will be attracted to you that way, but you just won't care.
    I think in order to find love you must want it. You can't find something you're not searching for. You can be happy with your overall life, but there must always be an empty spot that aches for love and makes you a little depressed for not having it, in order to really appreciate it when it comes. In my opinion, if someone is 100% happy with their life even without love in it, chances that you will even want love are very low.

Most Helpful Guy

• The overlying message one can extrapolate from all of the comments is that it's definitely true if you're trying to find a female lover, but that it isn't true at all if you're trying to find a male lover. It sucks that only men have to force themselves to be happy no matter what to stand a chance of being loved by the opposite sex, but I guess that's just the way it is; some things'll never change.