Do I have the right to be mad at my boyfriend in this situation?

I have clinical depression and I was having a bad day. When I told my boyfriend about it, he was like "depression and all is all in your head. There are starving kids in Africa so stop being a baby".
I got mad and am not talking to him. Am I doing the right thing here?

0|1

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, but not talking to him is a bad idea. Giving him the 'silent treatment' is so unhealthy, and it causes so many communication problems in relationships, you should talk to him and tell him why you are mad, but if he's being rude or just brushing it off then maybe you should reconsider you're relationship

0|0
    0|0
    • I talked to him today and he was dismissive about it. He was like "what could possibly make you sad?"

• ugh if i were u i would break up with him, he doesn't sound like he would be a very good partner to be helping u with that, i bet u could find a nicer guy!!

Most Helpful Guy

• I suffer from depression and you can't help the way you feel it's all down to a chemical imbalance of your brain. You are right to be angry and people ignorance pisses me off. If your boyfriend loves you he shouldn't be a dick about it he should be there for you

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• A lot of people who haven't experienced this just don't understand what a struggle it is. They don't get that you can just 'get over it'. You have a right to be mad at him. Try encouraging him to learn about clinical depression, a little research might help him better understand what you are going through.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, you have a right to be mad.

Passive aggressive behavior and the silent treatment isn't a healthy form of dealing with relationships.

Walk away for a bit to cool down but then go back and talk and tell him how that made you feel and that it was disrespectful and condescending of your ailment and be honest. It made you mad, it made you question if he's a worth while dating partner, whatever it made you feel... talk it out.

0|0
    0|0
  • You can be mad at his ignorance. Lucky for him he obviously has no experience with depression, but he should be more supportive of you. I knoany people who have no idea what depression is, but some actually make an effort to understand or at least be sympathetic and supportive.
    He should get some education on the subject and be there for you otherwise you'll be left out in the cold always which will not improve your depressions or your relationship.

0|0
    0|0
  • To me it looks like your boyfriend has no idea what a clinical depression is. He just thinks you can get over it like its some bad mood or something.
    Yes you are right to get angry but to me it doesn't look like he means bad he is just super ignorant.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes you are right he should respect you and respect that you have depression
    He was wrong for saying mean stuff to you and he really needs to learn how to except you for whom you are and most of all he needs to learn to respect you.

0|0
    0|0
  • its a right thing as long as you think it's right. but don't worry: he's a douche.

1|0
    0|0
  • I can understand your disappointment and anger. It's justified.

0|0
    0|0
  • Pretty disappointing he has an attitude like that. i don't think getting mad about it will really help you though

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah. He is just ignorant

0|0
    0|0
  • @Peterules Get over yourself.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes