My friends with benefits moved away, not sure what to do now?

I have been with this guy for 7 months, not officially a couple as we never talked about putting a title on the relationship. We would hang out 5 days or more a week, stay at each others’ places and do all couples stuff. We also agreed on not hooking up with other people. He has just moved to another city today for work and i would be moving in two month time to Canada to live. We still plan to meet up a few times before my actual move but part of me wondering if we should meet again. I would have to stay at least 3 years in Canada to get my citizenship before coming back, a lot of things would change, he might go back to England (as it’s his home country). Though he said to keep in touch and that he would still be here when I decide to come back. I did ask him to move with me but he couldn’t leave his business here at the moment and moving across the globe is a big decision that can’t be taken lightly. I am wondering if I should just keep my the plans of seeing him during the last two months I still live here or just to end it and move on. I know if i go for the later, he would be very disappointed as he asked me to delay my flight to Canada so we could spend some times together on his birthday. Before he moved, he arranged a dinner party with all his friends and invited me, then spent the whole weekend with me only so it would make me feel mean if I change all the plans now. And if i keep the plans, it would take even longer for me to get over him, pretty painful as we spent a lot of time together and I don’t have many friends to hang out with. Personally I would like to keep him as a friend as we get on very well. However from such a long time spent together, i am not sure if it would be possible, how to maintain it etc. He’s not one to be on the phone all day chatting, we generally just met in person and talked.

Thank you for reading and looking forward to getting your advice soon.

P/s: we are both 29 years old, not teenagers, if it helps :)

24

Most Helpful Guy

• All I know that it would be kind of stupid (lack of a better word) to end it while you are still in the same country. Use the time you have together because that is the best time.
    After you move, just go day by day and step by step, there is no advice for these things because life is like that.

But if you really get along good together, maybe one day you will be together again and who knows.. Also try to keep contact on Skype calls and other platforms.
    Best of luck!!

• Thank you for your advice. I’m just worried i would feel much worse later on when I move because it’s been a while since i met someone i could get on so well. One only can hope :)

• You are most welcome... well, maybe it will be a head dive (my choice) when you change your surroundings, I would do it "cold turkey" and for now just enjoy the time with my friend, because you don't know when you will meet again