How do I get someone to stop thinking about suicide?

No irrelevant answers please this is serious

1|0

Most Helpful Girl

• You can't. They need to seek professional help from a reputable therapist, who will work with them to help change their mindset , and get to the root cause of their depression.

The best thing you can do is encourage and support them through their therapy. Suicidal people suffer from relentless , immeasurable emotional pain , and they rarely reveal their innermost thoughts to anyone, and they never tell anyone how they are really feeling.

Suicidal people have many underlying unresolved issues. My heart goes out to anyone who contemplates taking their own life, because they don't really want to end their life, they want to put an end to their emotional pain and suffering .

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Just remind them constantly that it would really, really hurt you if they were gone. Most people don't think it will hurt anyone if they aren't around anymore. They think it will actually make everyone happier.

Keep drilling into them that you need them around and keep letting them know that their problems are not stupid and they shouldn't feel embarrassed about them and that you're willing to listen any time they need to talk. All the while continue asking them to consider professional help because you want them to get better, and tell them that that is not a sign of weakness or anything to be embarrassed about.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Have them make a list of everything they have to live for and all the things they want to do and make them read it daily. Ask them if they have a weapon of choice, and if so, ask if you can keep it at your house for a few days. Leave them alone as little as possible, make sure they know you are there for them. If they live with family ask them if they are going to talk to the family about it. If they don’t want to, accept that and let it drop. Keep them talking about positive things to help their mind begin to open up a bit. If they have depression, it’s like seeing he world through tunnel vision—everything seems negative and it feels like there is no way out... it’s helping them to recognize that that is the depression or anxiety talking, and that there are options... let them know that too—if there is something going on in their life, they have options to change the situation. When feeling suicidal, it feels like death is the only option to get you out of what you’re dealing with... most people don’t want to die per se, but they want to stop existing in the life they are living... sometimes they feel numb... like only really strong emotions can be felt and small ones are so inconsequential that it feels like they don’t exist... encourage them to talk to a trusted adult (I mean a REAL adult—not our age, older). They often have resources you don’t, so it’s best to have help from the adult. School counselors are ok, but at a high school they often go about it wrong and sometimes call home which is probably not something your friend wants... at college, on campus counseling is different and more like free therapy. Encourage them to talk to someone. Most of all, let them know they are loved and that if they died, you would miss them and remind them to think of everyone who would miss them...
    these are not cure alls, but they are a start to help you help your friend out until something more substantial is in place, ok? Let them know you are supporting them always, ok? Wishing you luck and safety of your friend. Also remember if you are concerned they may do it that night, call the police to do a wellness check on him/her. Thats more of an emergency thing, but if you think they might actually do it, I recommend doing that... better to be safe and alive than going to her funeral...

1|0
    0|0
  • You simply can't, only he can save himself from his demons, but you can help him fight his demons by trying to make him feel happy by going out. Let him know he is not alone. He probably feels he is useless and not important to anyone. Let him know he is important.

1|0
    0|0
  • you can't, speaking from experience here as someone who was extremely depressed. What you need to do is be there, and if they dont want to be out and talking to you, force them to. dont let them be idle (though you will have to tolerate some swearing and backlash) at least it worked for me

0|0
    0|0
    • What worked for you

• Show All
    • no problem, if this is a close friend of yours, or family member try to keep in contact with them, and know their general whereabouts, i survived my suicide attempt because my friend found me and helped me recover. Best of luck!

• You can't make someone stop thinking about suicide. You really need to get them some professional help. In the meantime just talk to them and let them know you're there for them. If they tell you they have a date and time, call the cops.

0|0
    0|0
    • He just says he has had a history of suicidal thoughts. But he hasn't had them for a long time and just got them again when I left his house. I don't know what should I do should I tell his mom?

• Show All
    • It'll be fine. Nothing bad can come from a conversation

• By letting him know that he is not alone and he has a hope

1|0
    0|0
  • First of all, you're not a psychologist and you won't become one all of a sudden.
    Most of psychologists suck anyway so just mind your buisness and don't make things worst.
    If strongly doubt that he's waiting for your approval to do it...

0|0
    0|0
  • Therapy. That’s the only thing that helped me. People telling me how much they care and that I have nothing to be depressed about only made it worse.

0|0
    0|0
    • Why did it make it worse

• Show All
    • Oh. Well I tell my boyfriend that I understand and I'm there for him and I hug him. But I don't know if it's working or not

• I agree with that.. totally... drugs are the key

• Tell that person how beautiful this life is and take that person for motivational speeches and stay around that person and make fell that person secure and plus crack few good jokes to make that person happy and calm

0|0
    0|0
  • Clearly people commit suicide because they think so low of themselves that they just wanna end it so you can start by boosting the persons ego

0|0
    0|0
    • My guys ego is to the roof on most days. It's everything that's happening around him. like money problems and school and future and what are we living for stuff like that. I don't know how to help that

• Show All
    • Well you just made me cry. I know we've never met but souls recognize souls even through the internet. I love you you have a beautiful heart. Thank you

• Dont cry that you may be suffering now but where there's sufferment at the end there's joy, life is like a broken heart, you feel horrible and like it will never get better but it heals and it eventually gets better and you dont regret a second of it after, this problem he is going through will easen up and he will be laughing of how he was ganna make a dumb choice and you will be beside him, his supportive girlfriend that seeked help when it was needed, thats a keeper 💯

• Try and get them to go to therapy or evem try some meds. Always be there for them

0|0
    0|0
    • He vapes because he says meds are too expensive apparently

• Show All
    • When someone is depressed theyre already always thinking about it

• Should I tell someone? No one knows but me and his friend

• Ah a guy like me... Just go and hug him and show positivity as much as possible he clearly lacks it

1|0
    0|0
  • You can't. You have let them run through the motions. Maybe get help. But he is the only one who can xhange his train of thought.

0|0
    0|0
  • You need to get them referred for professional psychiatric help.

0|0
    0|0
  • Just be there for them

0|0
    0|0
  • You can't. Just be there for them

0|0
    0|0
  • Chance ur religion

0|0
    0|0
  • Dont ask internet, go to a professional!

0|0
    0|0
    • I don't know any professionals

• Show All
    • This is one of that things that you see but not with your eyes, intsead you have to see it with your heart. You understand?

• Yes definitely. I know what you mean but I thought I was crazy for seeing it this way

• Guy or girl

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes