Why is it men's first instinct to lie to "not hurt your feelings"?

For example, when a guy says "I'm not ready to date" but then days later he's posting about a date he's having and blah blah blah about this girl, why is it first reaction to come up with some lie to "not hurt your feelings" rather than be completely honest that they're not interested in dating you.

010

Most Helpful Guy

• It isn't just a man thing. Men and women do this.

In some cases it's done to avoid a scene, as some people react very poorly to being rejected. In other cases, it's done truly out of compassion, as they feel that it takes the focus off the reality that they aren't into you. In many cases, particularly with young people, it's just befuddlement, not knowing what to say.

I'd say it isn't a good idea to go drilling into someone to find out why he/she isn't into you. If *MANY* people aren't into you, then it's worth trying to figure out why because in most cases you can make positive changes.

Try and understand that for some people, it really is difficult to hurt other people's feelings.