Should I admit to being a full-time single father on my dating app?

I have a ten year old daughter that is a dream of a child, but I was told by a friend that because women on the site don't know her that she's likely repelling candidates that would actually love her and me... that they habe preconceived ideas about not wanting to take on something so ambiguous and frightening. Thoughts? If that is a good tactic, when and how on earth does one then break that to a person on a date.

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• This isn't the movies. You can't hide a kid for the first few dates, win a woman over, introduce her to your daughter, and expect her to fall in love with her.

If you try that scenario in the real world she'd most likely be upset that you were hiding something so huge from her. In a way it's lying to her, and if she doesn't want to date a single father then you tried to trap her.

Put it on your profile. If a woman passes you by because of your daughter it wouldn't have worked out anyway. Women who are willing or even looking to date a single father are more likely to be drawn to you.

0|0
    0|0
    • This advice came from a single mother who did this and I'm guessing the rules are a bit different for men... to be clear I would certainly disclose on the first date... and I've been discussing for the past six years that my fatherhood. Thank you!

• Quite a bit different for men. But your single mother friend needs to put on her profile that she has kids, not necessarily in the "about me" section but in the drop-down or check box or whatever your site uses.

In the end it will actually save her a lot of time. If a man doesn't want to date a single mother he'll just pass on her profile. If he doesn't want to date a single mother and he finds out on the first date that she IS a single mother then she's just wasted her time and his.

• You are likely right in most circumstances... In this case she met her now husband this way.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 3

• You want to be honest from the get go, you don't want potential dates to wonder why you withheld information, and you will attract the right people if you be straightforward, if somebody doesn't see a future with you because you have a child then it's their loss and you won't have to deal with having to tell them and ruining something you thought was special. You might male others who have children and feel the same as you relieved! Good luck! :)

1|1
    0|0
    • I hope that it helps! :)

• You be clear. I've been on a dating site for 6 years and have fully disclosed that I have a daughter. It just hasn't yielded much... that being said I'm guessing my daughter is less likely the cause, rather my being inept at this whole online dating thing is likely a bigger issue.

• Always at least say there's a child involved. It separates the trash who can't handle someone other than themselves getting some of your attention

1|1
    0|0
  • Yes.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes