Should I admit to being a full-time single father on my dating app?

I have a ten year old daughter that is a dream of a child, but I was told by a friend that because women on the site don't know her that she's likely repelling candidates that would actually love her and me... that they habe preconceived ideas about not wanting to take on something so ambiguous and frightening. Thoughts? If that is a good tactic, when and how on earth does one then break that to a person on a date.

4

Most Helpful Girl

• This isn't the movies. You can't hide a kid for the first few dates, win a woman over, introduce her to your daughter, and expect her to fall in love with her.

If you try that scenario in the real world she'd most likely be upset that you were hiding something so huge from her. In a way it's lying to her, and if she doesn't want to date a single father then you tried to trap her.

Put it on your profile. If a woman passes you by because of your daughter it wouldn't have worked out anyway. Women who are willing or even looking to date a single father are more likely to be drawn to you.

• This advice came from a single mother who did this and I'm guessing the rules are a bit different for men... to be clear I would certainly disclose on the first date... and I've been discussing for the past six years that my fatherhood. Thank you!

• Quite a bit different for men. But your single mother friend needs to put on her profile that she has kids, not necessarily in the "about me" section but in the drop-down or check box or whatever your site uses.

In the end it will actually save her a lot of time. If a man doesn't want to date a single mother he'll just pass on her profile. If he doesn't want to date a single mother and he finds out on the first date that she IS a single mother then she's just wasted her time and his.

• You are likely right in most circumstances... In this case she met her now husband this way.