She tells me she has feelings for me but then friend zones me. What?

Alright guys, this is a first for me and I think I kinda know what's happening here but I want other opinions. So I broke up with my current girlfriend about 3 weeks ago. It was mutual. We make better friends than lovers. However, she's still living with me while she looks for a new living situation, so it's kinda awkward. Anyway, I have this co-worker that started talking to me, and she's pretty cool. Anyway, we hit it off, and we stayed up until 4 a. m. one night just talking and joking and we ended up saying that we liked each other but I'm not trying to rush back into a relationship and I still gotta get this thing with my ex situated before anything else. She agrees and tells me she completely understands and it happens when it happens. So we decided to just keep being what we are until I'm ready to ask her out.

A couple days go by, and I figured things would be the same by joking around and texting each other stupid things and play pushing each other. However, she didn't really want to text me as much, didn't really seem interested in anything I was trying to say to her, and just pretty much distancing herself from me. So I finally went up to her and asked her if it was awkward for her to be around me because of the conversation we had that night. She told me that wasn't the case, but she thought about it and said she thinks we should just stay friends because she doesn't want anything bad to happen between us and then she'd lose me. (Y'know, the classic friend zone line) So I said alright and asked what changed her mind if she didn't mind sharing. She said that she just felt that she needs more friends and she doesn't really think she needs a boyfriend at the moment. I told her I appreciated her honesty, and told her I felt that we do have a connection and if she's ever interested again, then I'd love to see where it can go. She seemed like she wasn't really sure what to say, so she just said okay. That's it lol. So what happened guys?

12