Is it best to give space after a break up? Is it bad to show how much you care by expressing your feelings?

My boyfriend told me last week he needs to be platonic right now bc he is depressed/feels off. Seeing a counselor. He can’t seem to tell me what our future looks like anymore bc he feels so confused about himself. I wanted some clarity but didn’t get much. Just got teary in front of him and now I regret that. I told him it was hard bc I know what I want and he doesn’t know what he’s doing. Is asked him why he couldn’t just tell me he didn’t want to be with me and he said bc that’s not the prob. The prob is I’m depressed. I suggested us taking space. He told me he wants to still hang out and be friends while he’s working through this and I said I’d see if I could. Luckily, i am going away for a couple of weeks. Is it best to just have no contact during this time? Was it ok to open up my feelings to him? I feel like I was all over the place bc I just can’t even formulate my thoughts. But did my best.

03