Is it true that if you're socially/emotionally stunted you're more likely to remain single your entire life?

• Yeah
  • No

32

Most Helpful Girl

• Single, no. In a long term, healthy, happy relationship, definitely. When someone hasn’t worked on their own emotional self they keep reaching out, using the only patterns they know. With out healthy modeling or internal work those patterns likely aren’t real successful. Without perspective they can’t change.

For example when I was younger I unconsciously learned that when I was feeling insecure about myself or my relationship I would lash out at my partner. Early on the fight would lead to reconciliation and comforting. The comfort and loving words would ease my insecurity. As time goes on this strategy doesn’t continue to work. I picked a fight, he would get resentful and shut down. We fought more and both felt more insecure, eventually leading to break up.

• With years and a lot of internal work I finally became aware of this pattern. With awareness and practice I now just tell my partner I’m feeling insecure and can get comfort without the conflict.

We all have our own out dated patterns, more so those who have less support or mentoring in emotion (or those on the autism spectrum). For some it’s more work, others less. The more work you do the less drama in your relationship (not just romantic).

Most Helpful Guy

• Welcome to the club!