Getting back with an ex?

So a bit over a year ago, me and an ex broke up because he was clingy, which was caused by trying to change himself to suit me better. This didn’t work out because I really liked who he was- I didn’t want him to change, so we broke up. My friends always told me to get back together with him and yada. Recently, as in about a week and a half ago, we started talking again. As in nonstop since we reconnected, and I regret ending things, but I think we’ve both grown a lot. He’s expressed interest and I think it’s mutual, are there any rules on getting back with an ex or any advice from people who have? I’ve personally never done it before.

0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• You want my honest opinion?

It comes down to how you both have grown.

YOu need to understand that a relationship is not about staying still but about changing to mold AROUND the person,

He needs to understand that he needs to accept who who you are.

So it can but once a wound closes it leaves a scar. It always does

1|0
    0|0
    • You need to sit down and talk about the old negative memories and try to talk through them.

No matter how hard it is going to be speak through them. Tell him why you broke up with him, what you expect from him this time and how you will do things differently this time round.

You might ignore this advice but it will give you significant ground

• Just get back already and fuck. Stop playing mind games. Your too old for that now. Just be an adult and both of you communicate your feelings. If either one of you hold back even 1% then its a failed relationship. This is what's wrong with most couples, failure to trust.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• No rules. If you're ready, go for it. Just really make sure that you both want to. :)

1|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• What's @2opaz going to think about this? lol

To be honest to answer your question, I don't see any harm in it personally, as you've said you think it's mutual. At the very least a trial period, because most inherent personality traits an individual will always have surface within the first 3 months. If he's grown personally, you should be able to get a good sense within that window of time.

1|1
    0|0
    • she's cheating on me

rule 4: never date a girl who keeps exes around

• Show All
    • he wanted to hear my vows for you

so i wrote em ;)

• Lmfao thanks JC

• this is not an ex you ended on bad terms. just tell him what you like and not. why you broke up in the past and try again

1|0
    0|0
    • Our breakup went very badly but we didn’t fight about it, and we’ve already discussed what went wrong.

• well then just be open to him and see where things are going

• Was he bad? no (from what you said)
    Did he cheat on you? no

Feelings still exist? yes

Maybe you can give it a shot, tell him why it didn't work out and what you both should do to prevent that from happ

1|0
    0|0
  • If it didn't work at the first time, it won't work later. But, there is no problem to give it another chance, because you both grown a lot.

1|0
    0|0
  • It's a bad idea, me and my ex broke up for a while and got back and the same problems we had before just came right back

1|0
    0|0
  • I personally never go back , the ex stay ex nothing more.

1|0
    0|0
  • he's an ex for a reason. getting back with exes really just creates so many more problems

1|0
    0|0
  • I was that clingy guy at one point but giving a second Chance isn't a bad idea

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't think there's any particular rule on getting back together with someone but you have to remember the reason why you broke up with them in the first place. You have to decide if you can deal with that if you can then by all means get back together with him. I know everybody has their pet peeves but for me I don't feel like you should have broke up with him I feel like you should have sat down and talked to him and told him you didn't like him being so clingy and if that didn't work then you should have moved on it seem like you guys have left things so open and unfinished and I think that's the reason why you're coming back together with him and it probably is the same for him because things were unfinished there never was any closure

0|0
    0|0
    • Haha thank you. In the time this was asked he begun showing old traits again, so I ended the new relationship. Guess exes are exes for a reason.

• Exactly. You have to leave the past in the past

• Okay you do you like this opinion though and give me a follow thanks love ya

0|0
    0|0
  • Did you nag him into changing by asking him "to express his feelings" to you?

0|0
    0|0
    • Over the year we were broken up we didn’t have any contact whatsoever. So no lol.

Oh wait I realize you mean during the relationship. No, I’m not really a romantic person.

• Show All
    • I take it I did reject you then. Good to know.

• Believe that all you want sweetheart. Later ✌️

• You had a birthday.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes