Why do people cut themselves :(?

just hurt to know and see those scratches

13

Most Helpful Guy

• Talking from experience, I used to self harm as a way to cope. I was depressed and had suicidal intentions, it sounds weird to explain but the feeling when you cut, it's wrong but at the time it feels right because it reliefs so much pressure and it was just a coping mechanism. Not for attention as I didn't tell or show anybody. I can openly talk about it now because I'm a stronger person now than i was back then, and I think it's important that people who do self harm and are depressed know they aren't alone, when the world feels likes caving in around you, there's always a way through it.

Most Helpful Girl

• It could either be because of attention or because they're so depressed and sad and can't control their emotions. They can't handle it that they decide to cut themself. It makes them feel better and to feel pain, it distracts them from negative thoughts and they feel like they deserve it. People like that have no self respect or self esteem.

• People who do it for attention are sick tho. And are desperate. They probably got a lack of attention from childhood of parents or something. They don't take self harm seriously and it's rude. But people who actually cut themselves from being depressed are just being a sadist to themselves.