My parents don’t approve of the man I’ve chosen to date... I don’t see an issue. are they being too judgmental?

I’m 23. I just started seeing a guy who is 34, move here from a Spanish country years ago, and he’s recently divorced with a 2 year old kid. When we first met, I had felt nothing like it. I am SO interested in this man and happy. I love talking to him, I love his face, his personality, etc. I have had such bad experiences with guys, nothing has ever worked or felt good. Something was always off. Then I just met this guy and it was just fire. He felt it too, and told some of his family. My mom is super mad about it and is like what do you see in him? You have nothing in common since he’s 34. I’m upset because I haven’t felt like this ever. Our their concerns legit?

1543

Most Helpful Girl

• They can't get past that there's an age gap... in their mind, they prolly can't get past that when you were a minor he had a wife or was a potential predator.

Age really shouldn't matter, yes there's an 11 age gap, but if you click... it just means ur souls are connected, so what does the material world/body have anything to do with it?
    As long as he can make u sexually happy still, and he's healthy, and he can start up a family with u too... I don't see a problem.
    Sometimes families care for us too much that they end up ruining something good for their kids just because of convention or tradition.
    Don't let go of him, tell him the problem and hopefully u two can work it out. If they don't come around to it, then do what u think is right and let them catch up to u later.
    They'll soon come around when they see how great he treats you. They are also prolly just worried about the first wife and the kid... which does tend to complicate things (they are right about that). But seems like he wants nothing to do with her, and he still wants to be involved in the kids life so that just seems like he's a great father tbh.

Most Helpful Guy

• Well there isn't enough information.

1 - Why did he get a divorce? Your parents probably are concerned because they see divorce as "he must not be very good" so they might be protecting you

2 - What's the relationship with the ex wife?

3 - What does he want from you?(as in-- casual relationship or something serious)

4 - Did your parents meet him? it holds more weight in what they say if they already got to know him a little bit.

• 1- his wife cheated on him. He tried to make it work but she kept cheating on him bc she is crap

2- he only sees her to exchange the kid. She has him 5 days a week.

3- he wants something serious

4- they have not met him or even seen pictures or know anything about him otherwise

• In that case, its very likely that they are being judgmental. Might soften up when they meet him