What are your feelings about using filters and angles in online dating profiles?

Do you recall the meme "On Facebook you're hot, in person you're not" ? I want to know your opinions and experiences when it comes to online dating that includes filters and angles. I remember in high school, I used a filter and when I finally met a guy in person, he ignored me. To be honest, I'm not photogenic. I have to take multiple pictures with various angles to get a good shot.

2579

Most Helpful Girl

• The thing about photography is, even without filters and special angles no stationary picture is an accurate representation of what a person actually looks like. I tend to only use filters that are very obviously filters, like the one in my profile here, but if it's something like a dating profile I'd be sure to use mostly pictures with no filter and maybe a couple obvious filter ones (flowers, butterflies, etc.). I think it's fine as long as you're not trying to fool anyone. If all of your pictures have subtle filters that are designed to not look like a filter, you might get more matches but the extra matches you get are likely gonna be people who care mostly about appearances and will likely ghost you once you meet up and actually look human.

I'm kinda disillusioned with the whole online dating thing now tbh. Every date I've ever been on with someone I first met in person and not online has wanted to see me again, but whenever I met someone on a dating app, even when they're not as attractive as the guys I met in person, they ghosted me more often than not. I think it's very hard to represent your appearance accurately using only pictures, and people online are pickier because they have thousands of potential matches at their finger tips and they're afraid to "settle" in case the "perfect" person is still out there. The more options you have available the harder it is to commit to one thing.

• Well said. I personally am more attractived to personality so a women gets better looking it worse looking to me depending on third actions and personality. A ten could turn into a one a a one into a ten. Beauty is how we percieve it

Most Helpful Guy

• Guys know the tricks women use.

Overhead shots that highlight cleavage are intended to hide the rest of the body. This often works.

Shots with filters appear as an attempt to show yourself as creative, even if that's not what you intended. Depending on the guy and the filter, this could either help you or hurt you, but it probably shouldn't be your primary picture.

Shots taken in groups (when it's the primary picture) are intended to make guys associate the subject's attractiveness with that of her friends. This doesn't work.

Underhead shots are similar but attempt to hide more. This works much less frequently.

Shots with pets are taken in the hopes that the pet will reflect on their personality and deflect negativity about their appearance. This actually has a negative effect.

"Not photogenic" is usually a substitute for "not a 10". I say this as someone who's "not photogenic". I personally, when dating online, try to present the truest version of me that exists (as opposed to a "pic that makes me look good") so that women won't be disappointed (as much) when we meet.