What are your feelings about using filters and angles in online dating profiles?

Do you recall the meme "On Facebook you're hot, in person you're not" ? I want to know your opinions and experiences when it comes to online dating that includes filters and angles. I remember in high school, I used a filter and when I finally met a guy in person, he ignored me. To be honest, I'm not photogenic. I have to take multiple pictures with various angles to get a good shot.

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• The thing about photography is, even without filters and special angles no stationary picture is an accurate representation of what a person actually looks like. I tend to only use filters that are very obviously filters, like the one in my profile here, but if it's something like a dating profile I'd be sure to use mostly pictures with no filter and maybe a couple obvious filter ones (flowers, butterflies, etc.). I think it's fine as long as you're not trying to fool anyone. If all of your pictures have subtle filters that are designed to not look like a filter, you might get more matches but the extra matches you get are likely gonna be people who care mostly about appearances and will likely ghost you once you meet up and actually look human.

I'm kinda disillusioned with the whole online dating thing now tbh. Every date I've ever been on with someone I first met in person and not online has wanted to see me again, but whenever I met someone on a dating app, even when they're not as attractive as the guys I met in person, they ghosted me more often than not. I think it's very hard to represent your appearance accurately using only pictures, and people online are pickier because they have thousands of potential matches at their finger tips and they're afraid to "settle" in case the "perfect" person is still out there. The more options you have available the harder it is to commit to one thing.

1|0
    0|0
    • Well said. I personally am more attractived to personality so a women gets better looking it worse looking to me depending on third actions and personality. A ten could turn into a one a a one into a ten. Beauty is how we percieve it

Most Helpful Guy

• Guys know the tricks women use.

Overhead shots that highlight cleavage are intended to hide the rest of the body. This often works.

Shots with filters appear as an attempt to show yourself as creative, even if that's not what you intended. Depending on the guy and the filter, this could either help you or hurt you, but it probably shouldn't be your primary picture.

Shots taken in groups (when it's the primary picture) are intended to make guys associate the subject's attractiveness with that of her friends. This doesn't work.

Underhead shots are similar but attempt to hide more. This works much less frequently.

Shots with pets are taken in the hopes that the pet will reflect on their personality and deflect negativity about their appearance. This actually has a negative effect.

"Not photogenic" is usually a substitute for "not a 10". I say this as someone who's "not photogenic". I personally, when dating online, try to present the truest version of me that exists (as opposed to a "pic that makes me look good") so that women won't be disappointed (as much) when we meet.

2|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• They are easily noticeable and cringe with a sense of you are trying to hide something. This is why I always say just get some professional photos done or at the very least get a friend to snap some of you straight on.

0|0
    0|0
  • Filters are not good because some of them actually change the way you look. I’ve been through the experience of getting to know someone online only for them to send me pics with filters and things and when we meet she looked completely different. It wasn’t so much that she looked different or not like her photos but I was mad that she didn’t send me any real photos of her. I felt sort of tricked or duped. As for angles, I don’t think that matters as much as long as it still looks like you.

0|1
    0|0
  • I think video calling can sort it out? Cuz sooner or later if you can't meet you will at least think of video calling and you can't always talk from the same angle.. or can you? 🤔
    But my boyfriend already knows I'm not photogenic, and I look different in real life, cuz I already told him. But to us, looks is not everything so I don't think I or he would back off if we look different than our pictures.

0|1
    0|0
  • I think everyone should honestly be themselves post whatever you want on social media... I have rules I go by for online dating, conversation if that’s good , ask for number, if goes good ask for (photo) ask nicely for one with no filter (lbvs) then proceed if it’s what you wanted in the looks department.

0|0
    0|0
  • I've never liked filters, and it's obvious when people use editing and angles to hide things they don't like about themselves. I've gotten used to it though so I never expect people to look the same in person. I prefer the idea that if my pictures aren't so great then meeting me in person is a nice surprise lol

0|0
    0|0
  • Snapchat filters and duckfaces bring my annoyance level over 9000.
    In a way, I find it truly disrespectful because it flaunts the girls' dating success in my face while I'm having so much difficulty matching anybody and bringing the conversation to a date. It's no different from millionaires who would be showing off a handful of bank notes in front of the homeless.

0|0
    2|0
  • Many times, pictures are deceiving. Often it's not intentional either. I'm. A photographer and I know these things well. I met a woman yesterday. Her picture was "ok". I knew she was pretty. But I saw her in person and my jaw dropped. Hot as hell! But her pictures do her no justice.

1|0
    0|0
  • I was a professional photographer for years before it became a thing, so i used to get paid to do what people are doing on Instagram lol. Thats why i hated it for so long.

My thing is, i can spot it. I know when someone is playing the angles, and if they never post a contrasting photo so i can get an idea of what they actually look like im gonna hard pass. No matter what they look like

0|0
    0|0
  • I've been good about sorting out whether or not a girl is actually hot in person since MySpace days lol. My friends would actually send me links, just to verify the photo before meeting a girl because of it xD. Personally, I don't care much. I can generally tell how accurate a photo is to what she looks like in person. The only issue I would have is if she's using a photo from like 6 years back.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm not a fan of filters, cartoon apps, sketch apps, side profile pictures or sunglasses pictures. IF there is no other pictures. You must have other regular photos if you do that.

0|2
    0|0
  • I know a lot of girls who use camera angles to accentuate the goods. I don't have any problem with it, but I think that's because I'm a photographer/videographer. I know what to look for, and what to expect. I know for fact that her tummy isn't that flat, and that her breasts aren't that big. I could see why a guy who didn't have the knowledge might find the pictures misleading.

0|0
    0|0
  • NEXT!

I can't stand them. Some women already wear too much make up and then top it off with a filter? So when I do see filters I instantly think two things:
    (A) She's basic
    (B) She's deeply insecure/hungry for attention

0|0
    1|0
  • People feel they've been lied to if you look nothing like your profile pic. I dated one girl who looked nothing like her airbrushed, professional profile pic.

Though I have to admit I haven't updated the pics on my profile for several years, so I probably don't look like them anymore...

0|0
    0|0
  • I think if I see a lot of filters in pictures and makes me think that person is very insecure about themselves.

That translates into there going to be a lot of work in a relationship.
    What else are they hiding?

0|1
    0|0
    • that's a valid point tbh, i personally use filters only cuz they smooth out my skin :/ i dot wear makeup so the filters are all i got to have ay least somewhat nice looking skin in picture

• I mean you have to take the image at some angle, many as well be a flattering one... As for filters, I think for a dating profile you should try and look as much like you as possible. You don't have a filter irl...

0|0
    0|0
  • i think it's totally okay to use filters! the internet is where everyone wants everything to be perfect so it makes sense that we would make sure our pictures look perfect as well. i mean, obviously in person i don't have hearts floating above my head lol

0|0
    0|0
  • Filters are ok but when you're going out of your way to use a photo or angle that blocks your face... Just... Why fucking bother taking a picture. Like the dog filter or only half your face in the picture. I fucking hate when people do this

1|0
    0|0
  • Snapchat filters make your face smaller, eyes bigger, skin smoother and takes away acne. I like it but I wish it didn’t do this because it makes me more self conscious about how I look.

1|0
    0|0
    • same tbh :/ i only use the snapchat filters cuz it smooths my face since i have a tiny bit of acne scarring :(

• It would definitely make me reconsider chatting them up if I saw their profile had a lot of filters or pictures with specific angles on them

0|1
    0|0
  • Idm, but I won't date a person unless I see them on cam

0|3
    0|0
  • Angles are whatever but I hate it when you see someones profiles and every picture have the snapchat dog filter. I wanna see what the girl looks like before i click like or not, I dont want to see what she would look like if her father was a poodle.

0|0
    0|0
  • in my opinion, tho it may cause some missunderstandings if someone look too different in irl compared to in a photo, it is fair i guess, if the different angles and filters make you feel good or better that's what mattters.

0|0
    0|0
  • They are fake and it's an illusion. It's bad to deceive people that way.

0|0
    0|0
  • I always lool ugly on picturesxD but in real life I would say I'm quite handsome :) no idea why pictures always have to fuck me up

2|0
    0|0
    • Same 😅

• Show All
    • I have a few pictures of myself. My family and friends like them, but I don't. That's the first reason for black/white pictures. Everything lools better in black and white. Next reason is simply because I like that kind of picture. Third reason is because a lot of girls told me a black/white picture looks attractive and sexy. Ye and another reason is because it causes a little bit anonymity

• *looks better...
      I'm just not photogenic, but I'm fine with that fact.

• I dont like them. Dont get me wrong, once in a while is just fun, but I've seen profiles where. every. single. pic. had a filter. I mean really, its a dating profile, giys want to see your whole face.

0|0
    0|0
  • filters is a mask. i dont think the feel the need of taking a photo with a mask or filters especially if you are trying to find someone in dating sitesn

0|0
    0|0
  • I personally don’t use filters... but if it makes others feel better about their appearance I say go for it!

1|0
    0|0
  • It's very difficult to get a decent photo of yourself, a full photo, on your own (someone asked about why it's always close up face photos).

I think the photo still needs to represent what you look like. So a good angle is fine but filtering to hell isn't. Neither is using the sneaky thing that makes your eyes bigger and your face thinner... You know they're going to see your real face when you meet so why bother?

It's a tricky thing though, on one hand you wouldn't want to give them an awful photo so they can see The Real You, but you also don't want to give a false image.

So taking a nice photo is no crime, deceiving with heavy filters and VERY forgiving angles is just silly. No one wins.

0|1
    0|0
  • Filters are cheating and lazy. Taking a good shot requires some use of angles, but why all the close-ups? Profiles are flooded with close-ups 😫

1|0
    0|0
    • Yes! People spend too much time taking selfies, so they only show what they can fit in at arms length :’)
      Anywhere else you’d have to have a headshot, 3/4 shot and full length.

• You can use filters without making it too obvious. Some people have blurred images which can easily be caught. Also some people are extremely photogenic maybe thats playing a factor too.

0|0
    0|0
  • These days it's pretty much a given. No one looks in person like they do in their social media profiles.

Maybe it's not a healthy trend, but people wanna look better than they are.

0|0
    0|0
  • Shrug. I take a shower and use cologne everyday before I leave. Nothing wrong with a good presentation, just avoid false advertising or it will become a landmine for people interested.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't like it very much, sure you always want to show off your best side, but the picture is there to show what you actually look like. Also, personally, I just don't like filters

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it's decieving and ultimately serves to beef the ego and coddle the insecurities, of the person taking the picture, more than to attract a potential partner.

0|0
    0|0
  • Love, life, happiness, everything got one angle , and that angle depends on your own neck. If u wanna look down u can and if u want to look up again u can.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm not fotogenic either but I don't like filters because I am who I am and I can't change that with a simple filter and other people need to accept me for who I am

0|0
    0|0
  • I have the same problem as yours. I good in real life but when it comes to photos... Well.. I am hideous !! In order for me to take a good picture

0|0
    0|0
    • Sorry miss pressed enter button..! Anyway as I was saying... In order for me to take a good picture I have to be unaware of the photo been taken in the first place. Now... in our case it's not a bad thing to take multiple photos from different angles because we don't do it to deceive people. I have a problem with that only when people try to hide crucial facts about their body with "clever" angles and lights...

• I'm not photogenic either, so I'm in no position to complain. But even so, from my experience people tend to look better in person

0|0
    0|0
  • Women have tricked me before, and honestly it hurts them more than it helps

1|1
    0|0
  • Or my favorite... girls putting pics from before they got fat as fuck... that's false advertising

1|2
    0|0
  • I have been faked 2 times on Facebook only. Online girls look so pretty 😂 but in reality I was unable to find out who she was

1|0
    0|0
  • It's ok, but if the filters and angle makes you look way different then no. You don't wanna give catfish..

1|0
    0|0
  • I think you should use what ever pictures you want as long as you include a couple "normal" pictures to. That way you aren't miss leading anyone.

0|0
    0|0
  • Often it is painfully obvious that I don't know why people bother...

0|1
    0|0
  • I have the opposite problem. I'm gorgeous in real life, not so much in photos :P

0|0
    0|0
    • Plain white light on your face won't do you any good.
      Natural light is better especially in the morning and late afternoon, if you got a device that can balance whites so you don't appear to be blueish/redish.

• I look much better irl anyway so I'm not worrying nor am I using filters and such.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well I hate filters and such in total. So rather a no go for me (atleast when there are only pictures with filter)

0|0
    0|0
  • I personally hate filters. Dog ears is an instant swipe left.

Be natural, be yourself. No one likes it when the real thing isn't as pictured

0|1
    0|0
  • All these new photo contraptions like selflies or instamash or whatever it's called, back in my day we were simpler!

0|0
    0|0
  • The online dating in my opinion is good in some times to know new people but some people using it by wrong ways

0|0
    0|0
Show More

Recommended myTakes