On again, off again: I told him I loved him and now I think he'll never speak to me again?

I met this guy back in September 2017. We hit it off very well, but moved to quickly. Then all of a sudden he said that he is not over his ex whom he was seriously in a relationship with and he was just going on dates with girls to keep his mind off her. Apparently I was one of those girls but he said he liked me and wanted to start something with me. We have been on again off again since about mid-october. He would go back and forth saying he "wants to see me and likes me and I am special to him" to "you're getting too close" "you shouldn't have any expectations". In two months we've only seen each other twice. Both times he said "We'll talk soon" but he ignores me. Then he'll be really sweet. I keep seeing him out with other girls at bars, which could very well be coworkers, but I'm not that optimistic.

4 days ago he randomly texted me for no reason but I was busy studying so he just told me good luck and I'll do good. Two days later, I saw him with another girl at a bar and when they left, he touched my back, looked at me in the eyes and soft smiled at me. Later that night, under the encouragement from a guy friend, I texted him and told him that I loved him and I needed to get it all out there before I graduate college next week. He has not responded. I know what I did was not handled correctly. But, this entire "relationship" has confused me to no end and I don't know what to do.

What's weird to me, and I find myself a pretty rational woman, that I do whole heartedly believe I am in love with him and something inside of me is telling me that he is the one I'm supposed to be with. I've noticed that I'm the only one he's been semi consistent with. I've never see him with the same girl twice. What I want to know, from a male's perspective, what the hell is he doing? Does he even like me? And if you guys ever received a text like that from a girl you were seeing for a while, would you ever speak to her again?

1