Will you break up with someone just because their religion isn't the same as yours?

• Yes I will
    Vote A
  • No I won’t
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• I look at relationships as having the eventual goal of marriage and a family. I don't want to lead someone on if I know that it can't work at the end of the day. That's cruel. You can't be good parents if you both look at the world in fundamentally different ways.

Not to mention the fact that both of you believe the other isn't going to make it to "heaven" or their version of it - you'll be constantly trying to convince each other to convert. After all, if you think it's the truth letting your loved one go to hell is just about the worst thing you could do to them. It's just not a good recipe for stability

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes different religions makes a relationship difficult especially if both partners feel very strongly about their own beliefs. There will be issues and discomfort at some point. I prefer a like minded partner who can understand me and my beliefs and help me grow in them and grow together. I cannot do that with someone who doesn't have the same faith.

3|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• I find religion to be one of the big deal breakers, especially if religion is a big part of that person's life. I wouldn't get into a relationship with a religious person in the first place.

1|2
    0|0
  • The options are too black and white so I can't vote. I've dated people who have dragged me off to coven meetings, Mormon temples, synagogues (actually the closest to my religion, as mine has roots in Judaism), cathedrals, and even home studies that gave me a weird cult-like vibe (the started off as Bible studies but the doctrines being discussed there were horrifying).

Religion didn't play any part whatsoever in our break-ups because they were just as willing to go to my little country Baptist church.

I've dated atheists who belittled me for my belief in God, Catholics who say I'm not worshiping God right because I'm not doing it like they do in the Catholic church, members of the Church of Christ who say I'm going to Hell for being Baptist, and cultists who tell me that because I don't agree with their doctrines I'm being blinded by false teachers.

I dumped those people in a heartbeat. I will date someone of another religion or no religion as long as they are respectful, but if they have a problem with the little country Baptist church I grew up in I have a problem with them.

1|0
    0|0
  • I'm not a particularly religious person and I respect people who are, I would even consider converting and adopting my future spouses practices and general religious philosophies. I understand how valuable some people take religion and if I felt that I imposed too much of my non religious culture on them then I would do what's best for the relationship even if that means us ending because our values are too different and they would be better off with someone more traditional.

1|1
    0|0
  • Honestly I wouldn't even start an intimate relationship with someone who doesn't have SIMILAR beliefs as I. I'm agnostic and I could not date anyone religious because in time a fight will eventually part us. They would try to force me to become a religious or raise our future children with their religious views. Disputes will come up along the line so best to prevent from that even happbing.

1|3
    0|0
  • You really can't be a good companion with someone who doesn't share your morals, principles, goals or worldview. Religion includes that.
    It depends on how different the religions are. A Christian and a Jew might get along fine.

4|1
    0|1
  • No, but I wouldn't date an atheist, a satanist, a shii't or someone who believes in a lot of gods and worships strange things like a cow or statues in the first place.
    I know that's not going to work out anyway. Way too contradicting and bad experiences (not necessarily romantically).

2|0
    1|2
    • Wow, what an ignorant thing to say. It's like you think your belief is superior to others or somthing. You're a prime example of why I don't date religious people.

There's nothing wrong with having an opinion but there is something wron with putting down other peoples religion as you just did. How disrespectful.

• Show All
    • Lmao who tf are you to command me. Well you can make 500 other accounts. It's really pathetic and no it only shows that I'm not caring about what you think and you're too bothered that you can't leave me the fuck alone. Bye parasite.

• I'm not reading. You're pathetic as fuck.

• Probbaly wouldn't even start a relationship with someone very religious.
    I can be friends with someone who is very religious if they are not trying to impose their religion to me, but a relationship no.
    It would start affecting it at some point for sure, and I don't want to tailor my life to something I personally don't believe in.

1|1
    0|0
  • Surely you know before you date someone whether their religion is the same as yours or not?
    I could date someone of a different belief system but chances are it wouldn't work. Im an antitheist who doesn't believe in marriage and doesn't want children. Not exactly compatible with the average Christian

1|0
    0|0
  • Religion, I believe, is an individual thing. Breaking up with someone due to religion is comparative to breaking up because they listen to country instead of pop. As long as you respect each others religion and let each other do your own thing, I don’t see any problem.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes. But I’d never have a relationship with a religious person (I am an atheist), so there’s no need to break up then...

2|1
    0|0
  • Not unless they wanted to argue or change the way I thought

2|1
    0|0
    • Should you both think along the same lines? A couple should at the very least share the same principles.

• If both respect each others beliefs I don't see a problem. Having children and choosing what to teach them may come with difficulties. But no I feel if you are both mature then different beliefs would be no issue what so ever

• Yes, because I'm not religious and I hate religions anyway. I don't hate people who are religious though, well at least before they try to force their beliefs on me.

1|0
    0|0
  • If she wants me or my children to follow that religion then yes. Atheist. If she demand me to follow any shit of any religion its a big no no

1|1
    0|0
  • Most religions seem pretty similar so I guess it just depends how different our beliefs are

1|0
    0|0
  • No as long as they dont try to change my believes its all good, honestly the best thing to do is to not talk about religion with that person

1|0
    0|0
  • Depends on how religious she is. I don't want her to force anything on me or do something I reprove.

2|1
    0|0
  • i wouldn't, but i'm atheist and have been looking into satanism🙃 if someone started getting preachy to me i think i might I don't know

2|0
    0|0
  • The way I see it, unless they claim that the Jews deserved it, or the Christians are the best, I could care less.

1|0
    0|0
  • No. You can try to tell them about your religon. They might give it a try but if they dont its fine too.

1|0
    0|0
  • Unless it's REALLY in the way of everything, or it directly opposes yours and creates problems, you shouldn't leave them.

1|0
    0|0
  • No never religioun is just a weapon now days bad or dumb people use it for mind wash and shit

1|0
    0|0
  • No never i m müslim and if i love i dont look at it

1|0
    0|0
  • It depends but first remember everyone is human being

1|0
    0|0
  • Religion doesn't matter only bonding and mutual understanding matters

1|0
    0|0
  • No. I mean the part that will get me is if they try to convert me.

0|0
    0|0
  • I haven't paid attention to religion in almost 10 years

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends

2|1
    0|0
  • Yes
    i have my morals

2|0
    0|0
    • Yes, and so does every non-psycotic person in the world. So what's your point Einstein?

• I won't. Such a lame reason

1|0
    0|0
  • No I won’t

2|0
    0|0
  • Good god no!

1|0
    0|0
  • No tf thats stupid

1|1
    1|0
    • No it's not.
      You really can't be a good companion with someone who doesn't share your morals, principles, goals or worldview especially when you have to teach those lessons to your kids. Religion includes that. People like you SAY "that's stupid," because you don't actually think about it.
      It depends on how different the religions are, of course.

• Love knows no religion

1|0
    0|0
  • No but I expect a lot of arguments

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes I will

1|0
    0|0
  • No but I will if there a extremist

1|0
    0|0
  • No, im not religious

1|0
    0|0
  • Never

1|0
    0|0
  • No no it doesn't matter, 💋

1|0
    0|0
  • First of all, I would find out early what his religious beliefs are to determine whether or not I should get involved with him.

1|0
    0|0
  • I’d not care because i go to a jewish school and i know a lot of different people of different religions and I’m considering being an atheist in a Jewish school. I’m not going to switch schools just because of that.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes