boyfriend and I broke up because I was losing myself and not happy anymore, says things should be better in the future when we both are established?

I was with this guy, on and off because of arguments. On my end, it was being blown way out of proportion, and to both of us it seems it’s because I have been unemployed for a few months now and I don’t have my permit either. I am currently working towards these things, in the meantime I’ve had too much time to think about stuff and therefore our little spats had me affected the most, because I didn’t have a distraction like he does (work, he drives). Anyways, he broke it off with me because of this, because he wants me to focus on myself and him too. I am doing the best I can these days, and whenever we broke up he wanted to continue speaking to me and hanging out. I agreed , and we are still like this, he still calls me and texts me every day and night. At first I was okay with it, but it hit me that we’re not together and that he can go and talk to other girls now... he says he isn’t, that he’s ignoring people for me. I believe him, but I don't know how long I can keep this up. Because what if he meets someone? My friend suggested I keep in contact with him, as in, keep each other on the side because you never know what could happen. She said if he meets someone else then I’m strong enough to move on. I don't know if I am, truthfully , prepared for that. On one hand I wanna distance myself so he can miss me, on another hand, I love him and it’ll be hard for me to just stop... him too, I don’t thinj he’ll be happy about it. I wanna cry when I think about him being with someone else. At the same time I don’t wanna be irrational... what do I do? *btw our families know each other so I may see him from time to time. I’m just afraid he’ll meet someone who is more established than I am and our contact will be less and less... I don’t know.
we live almost an hour away from each other so him being the only one driving is understandably exhausting. And I’ll admit I was not behaving ambitiously. We still love each other, but I’m scared the rug will be pulled from under me.
I’m doing what I can to take care of myself, not iust for him, but for me. It was definitely a wake up call though. So, In the meantime I should be focusing on me, and not worrying about relationship stuff. However, a big part of me is afraid I’ll lose him. What do I do? I’m thinking this is my chance to not only be successful , but prove to him I’m more than capable of being happy and ambitious again, like how I was before... but im scared he’ll meet someone before that happens.

01