How can I be less intimidating to men?

I had an abusive childhood and was also raised militaristically, so I am unintentionally a cold, distant and aloof individual as second nature. It’s a working progress. Now that I am out of that environment and been taught how to be human, those traits have been tamed slightly but now I am also a dominant, prideful, straightforward and short tempered person. It’s like fire and ice. Those traits have strengthened when I have let men into my heart and they tried to break me in the past. This has been a barrier for me against the dating world because I scare men off with my no nonsense attitude, fire and aloofness. I can’t banter and cracking a smile or even chuckling takes tremendous effort. I feel like a failure of a woman when I see other women laugh, flirt or smile effortlessly while bantering with their dates. All my life I was taught to be a warrior and a leader, not to focus on seemingly trivial things such as friendship and God forbid, romance. Now I’m worried that it’s too late in my nature to at least soften it to make me approachable and warm enough for me not to terrify men. Even though I had experienced bad men, I am still willing to love again despite being wary.

424

Most Helpful Guy

• Well you don't have to worry about age here in my opinion (especially if the age on your profile is accurate). A pretty good way to find hidden emotion in oneself is to watch movies. I highly recommend the sillies and dumbest of comedies, and the sapiest of drama and romance films. Also try to hang with friends you have that might be a little odd at times. Humans tend to share traits with one another pretty hard when around the same people a lot. Also play video games try and act like a kid from time to time. Don't try talking like a kid though just do silly things like getting hyped over something you enjoy a little bit.

Most Helpful Girl

• Honey there’s nothing wrong with you. I’m the same exact fucking way. I was born in a small town in Ireland where we were encouraged and raised to embrace honor, our Celtic, fighter heritage, etc. Nowadays I’m withheld, intense, and straight forward. And I’m with someone who loves me for all those reasons. If a man can’t handle you or is scared off: he’s not a man. A real man wants an equal, not an arm piece. Stay who you are, and a real man will find his way to you one day.

• At last, somebody I can relate to! Thank you for giving me hope that someone can love me for exactly who I am. It is not like I am masculine or anything, it is just the environment I was brought up and was taught how to be human in a very, very short amount of time. I love feminine things, have my little own obsessions and so forth. I know how to be a woman. I just don’t know how to be approachable to men. I don’t lack social skills; I lack dating/romantic skills.

• Trust me, I feel you. Except I’m not very feminine. I have my moments - but that’s only after you’ve known me for a long time. I’m very gruff, blunt, and short fused. But then I got into the dating scene and as long as you focus on the right places to find people and meet people who go well with you, then you’d be surprised at how many people, even men, find that attractive. I’m a bisexual, raging nerd so it may be a tad easier on me; but trust me, you’ll find someone boo.