What do girls think of friendly guys (also, bi guys)?

I have a number of female friends because they don't give me shit for my sexuality and are cool and funny people. I'm just wondering, since I'm generally a friendly person, does that signal to a girl that I'm not interested in her sexually? I mean I don't make female friends (or male, for that matter) to hit on them or with any motives like that and I rarely make sexual hints towards my female friends (when I do, I'm usually making a joke).
I guess what I'm asking is, is it wrong to just start off as friends and think of dating as a possibility that's also there? Should I start off by making it about a potential date instead of seeing if I like her as a person first, before even considering dating?
I have dated a girl who was a close friend of mine beforehand, and after we broke up, we became even closer friends because we explored what our relationship could mean. But is it generally a turn off for a girl if she identifies with the guy for his empathetic qualities and the "gay friend"-esque relationship, for a lack of a better term? Whenever I give some of my girl friends advice on guys by saying "well I would do this or that in his place" they write it off by saying "well you're not like most guys" (I guess because we've talked about the kind of guy both of us would like?). Since I'm bi and like girls too, should I change my attitude in order to attract girls more than just based on my appearance?

01