Why did she do this to me?

When i was 13 my sister of 19 came to me with the bible and wanted me to join her... she completely tried to brainwash me with it and i believed her... and at 18 she convinced me to stop going to school or find a job. Now i was a girl with low confidence and i was very quiet. I feel behind with life right now...

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Religious people (especially Christians) will try to convince you that their way of belief is right and that every other form of belief is wrong because that's the basis of the belief itself. Its a very illogical way of thinking but unfortunately its also very common. She way have felt that she was doing the right thing but that's only because she didn't have a proper understanding of life and the universe let alone our place in it. A lot of religious people are afraid of that which they don't understand so they cling to their beliefs but it doesn't make them bad people, it just makes them confused people. It probably wasn't done deliberately to cause your life to be difficult.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Tried to indoctrinate you into a rather disgusting religion. The story of Jephthah in judges 11, the Laws of war in deuteronomy 20, and the laws of slavery in Exodus 21 and Leviticus 25: 44-46 are good examples of the disgusting nature of the religion, in my opinion. Though I'd also throw the story of Job in there too even though christians celebrate it.

0|1
    0|0
    • One of the problems is that a lot of Christians don't understand their own religion, so they wouldn't know what you are talking about let alone believe its bad even if they did know about it. Unfortunate.

Christianity seems to be the most blindly followed religion in the world in that most people have no idea exactly what they are following.

• I agree. I was going to say that since I left the verses, christians should be able to get it, but then I remembered I was talking with a christian once and brought up the story of jephthah, he straight up told me it never happened when I told him the dude sacrificed his daughter to win a war. So I showed him the verses, he read the WHOLE chapter to make sure he got the context, then came to the conclusion that she didn't die. I made him reread it and walked him through it and finally he admitted what the story said. Like, the guy was interpreting the verses so weird, like when Jephthah said "why did you have to come out? I can't go back on my word now." He read that (not exact quote) to mean that jepthah had decided not ro sacrifice the first thing that came out of his house. Explaining the bible to religious person is infuriating.

• Having almost any convertasations with Christians is infuriating, some I can handle, though very few, most I just give up on these days.. I try not to be rude and judgmental but a lot of them make it very hard, its insulting to my intelligence and logical thinking.

• Trying to convert you to a religion is one thing (doesn't matter what religion) but stopping you from going to school or getting a job is just not ok. Sure, she wanted to share what she believed in with you, but she can't control your life. Just try and move on

0|1
    0|0
  • What you should do is fix the age and gender on your profile. Or stop making shit up.

0|1
    0|0
    • oh srry no im 21 and its not made up

• That just means you have a crazy person in the family who tried to fuck with you. It sucks, but it could be a whole lot worse. You can either dwell on it, or try to get over it. The choice is all on you.

• It's never too late. If you stop moving forwards more, you'll fall even further behind.

0|1
    0|0
  • Don't listen to that, find purpose, I'm religious but even science alone dictates we need purpose to be happy or die in our own unproductivity.

0|1
    0|0
    • As a non-religeous person I can appreciate someone religious who isn't totally single-minded, its good to see.

• Thank you. I believe science and beliefs are both ways to navigate life.

Be the first girl to share an opinion
and earn 1 more Xper point!

Recommended myTakes