Should o give up on him?

I like this guy at work and he seems to like me but we work in different departments and different areas so we basically see each other at the elevators, passing by. And there is nothing to talk about work related.

We had a few conversations and laughs here and there but it doesn't seem to be going anywhere. The other day it looked like he wanted to come sit next to me but didn't.

Lately its just kind of been a hi and bye thing. I was trying to work up the nerve to say something to him or place myself in a position for him to feel confident enough to do it. I catch him staring at me and he quickly diverts eyes.

Should I give up? What can I do to make him more comfortable short of sending him a email to strike up conversation because I thought of that too. I'm also shy and scared of rejection. Thank you

01