Is my boyfriend being inconsiderate? How should I handle this?

Ok so this isn’t a super big deal, but it’s just really bothering me. I’ve been dating this guy for 3 weeks now and he invited me to an event today. It starts at 5 and he told me he couldn’t pick me up cuz he had to help set up. Then 2 days before the event he suddenly asks me if I could come early and help set up too. He told me he didn’t know all the details but it would probably be sometime around noon. Then, last night he texted me and told me to try to get there by 10. 10 in the morning. Does it really take 7 hours to set up a banquet in a really small building? Anyway I was surprised and confused and I don’t really know how to respond. I only get to see my dad on weekends (which my boyfriend knows) and I thought I’d at least get to spend the morning with him. I’m not mad, but I need a way to tell him I can’t go so early. I’m pretty bad about confrontation and communication in general, so if anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it!

0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Just be honest, tell him you need to spend time with your dad and that you'll help him in the afternoon. He should be grateful for any help you give so if he gets the hump that's his problem. After 3 weeks he shouldn't expect you to be dropping everything to help him out

1|0
    0|0
  • Your boyfriend maybe didn't think it would be a faux pas to ask you to help set up. Just tell him "I'm sorry, I'd like to go but I don't see my dad much and I planned on seeing my dad in the morning. I'll be happy to see you there at 5pm."

Notice:
    - This explains that you can't go early and why
    - It explains you will still go and see him.

0|0
    0|0
  • You just say no? It's not that deep

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes