Boyfriend called me a bitch, what do I do?

My boyfriend of 3 years called me a bitch for the first time. I've gotten fuck off, fuck you, shut the fuck up, etc before. He's got a temper, but there's always an apology & explanation. This time? Not so much.

He was telling I purposely did something that I didn't. I was being sarcastic because it was so outrageous that I'd do this thing on purpose. He then called me a sarcastic bitch. He then quietly got dressed and left for work. Said "going to work, love you" and left. I texted him a few minutes later asking what it means for us now that he's called me something like that, because surely you don't call someone you love and respect a bitch. His reply was "ok." I asked what the hell was going on and if this means he's done with us. No reply. Blatant ignoring, no apology.

He gets angry with me often, but I assume it's from having a temper and being in his first relationship with someone ever and just not knowing how to behave. I don't want to break up with him, but I also don't want to say oh it's fine please call me a bitch all you like.

What the hell do I do?

411

Most Helpful Guy

• I try to avoid the "b" word as much as possible, but for me when my significant other does something which is the equivalent of her calling me a bitch then I respond that way. It's a last resort, a way for me to communicate my anger level, and sum up the how inappropriate her actions are to me.

No, the word isn't appropriate for me to say, I'd much prefer to talk things out. It sounds like counseling and possibly even anger management may be necessary.

There's a communication break down solve it or the relationship will suffer.

• He wouldn't agree to going to counseling or anger management. He knows he has a temper, but he hates talking about it and he only gets angrier when I bring it up. Is there a gentle way to say it without escalating things further? Should I text it or in person?

• Sounds like you may need to break up if he's unwilling to do work.

Most Helpful Girl

• Some couples call each other "bad" names all the time. They can enjoy it and find it funny because a word's meaning depends on its context. In your case, since it hurt you and since the context was out of anger, it's not okay. You should tell him that it genuinely hurt and he should apologize. He seems to have jumped to conclusions there.