Why are American guys no longer able to hold a good conversation?

I am tired! Guys seem to be very self absored and aloof nowadays, i went on multiple date, tried to initiate conversations but nothing, they have a real problem with being expressive like they are too cool to laugh no matter hoe they feel their face is dull and lifeless... i am italian thats not how i want my man to be, i ask them about their insterest or a detail i noticed (like what's written on their shirt) i tried talking about the news you know (the eurovision contest for example, a lot of americans don't know about so i like to explain and give fun facts about it) but they never follow up... they reply to me but when they are done they just don't try and feed the conversation i have to find follow up questions to ask them about their interest but they never ask me anything, they are noy curious at all and they're not giving me anything to work with either... i have lived in the PNW for 6 years now and men here just bore me so much... how do you get them to talk and loosen up!! And also how do you get them to put their phones in their pockets for a bit? I feel like they are so insecure and used to edit everything they say online that when it comes to in person encounters there is just so much math going on in their head, worried they are gonna say the wrong thing since they can't edit things in real life so they are tense and not spontaneous...

018

Most Helpful Guy

• We never really could. Phones have only exacerbated that. They probably feel comfortable with you leading the conversation. Gender roles aren't as predominant as they use to be. Generally I lead a conversation for a love interest like you do but find it more tiresome every day. Some men also don't like to talk. Remember women speak on average 9000 words a day while men speak 900. You may be filling what you feel as awkward silence when they are use to long periods of silence. Try finding someone overly animated.

• Lol dude you haven't met my dad!! He talks more than 900 words a day... i don't think i ever saw him shut up, he talks in his sleep too, cursing at football teams!!! The dude never shuts up! I don't think this stats apply to italians...

• It may not. I remember a family guy plot where the secret password was "Wow look at how quiet that Italian family is" because it would never be said.