What do you think are the pros and cons to dating your best friend? Do you think it is worth it?

There are always warning against dating your best friend. Just polling to see how you all feel about it.

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• The pros is that u are comfortable around eachother, u cn probably tlk about anything, etc etc blah blah blah u already know the rest lol the cons to it is that if u cn be at risk of losing a good friendship if the relationship doesn't work out. The relationship probably won't be as intimate at first becausssee y'all might be so used to being friends its probably weird lol
    But tbh, i think that when a guy and a girl are able to fart in front of eachother that is when u know its real😂😂😂 jkjk but my grandparents have been with eachother for 48 years they have small arguments every now and then but they fart all the time which is gross to think about and weird to say but hey, they love eachother😂

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Depends on your definition of best friend. Is this a friend that you've known for your whole life, like everyday is spent together after school for milk and cookies or someone you met a couple years ago and are close? Lol life long friends, sure I would date. At that point you guys have probably argued and got all the stupid bickering out of the way. Plus all the embarrassing moments and all that is out of the way too.

Couple year friends... no, I wouldn't risk it.

0|0
    0|0
    • 9 years of hanging out every day

• Hmm I'd say talk to the person, see if they are interested as well. Communication here is gonna be key, like every relationship. If they are interested great, if not just stay friends. It shouldn't be awkward since you guys have known each other for so long. I told a girl that I had feelings for her and I've known her for almost 2 decades. Lol she said she only saw me as a friend but we still hang out and remain friends, not awkward at all lol.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• All the females against it are not understanding that if you break up doesn't necessarily mean the friendship has to end just because the romance did.

I would prefer to date a best friend, yes. And that's actually the way relationships should start: friends first then lovers. When you're friends you get to learn so much about each other with a much more comfortable, relaxed connection than if you two had just started dating.

1|0
    0|0
  • The pros:
    *You know each other too well.
    *You are comfortable with each other.
    *You share secrets without hesitation.
    *He/She is an ideal partner since you get along too well that's why he/she became your best friend.

The cons:
    *He/She knows you too well, you can't deny anything.
    *If the relationship will not work, sometimes, it's difficult to be best friends again. Maybe you can be friends, but there will be awkwardness.

4|4
    0|0
  • I think one major argument against it, is that you won't be able to have the same kind of equation with your best friend if you broke up.
    And one good thing about it is, this best friend knows you in and out and besides they don't have the "Marry your best friend" quote for nothing.

0|1
    0|0
    • Do you think there's a difference between dating someone who is your best friend going in to the relationship vs. A person becoming your best friend over the course of the relationship?

• Show All
  • Sometimes, it's the ideal partner. Most successful relationships would consider their partner their best friend.

But, no one truly knows how great of a friendship it is until it's tested; for example, if you break up, are you ever friends again?

Your faith in the friendship and relationship determines the worth.

0|1
    0|0
  • I thought dating a best friend was impossible since you guys keep saying it's only platonic and also say I am full of shit that guys and girls cannot be best friends because there is always some sort of attraction there!!!

0|0
    0|0
  • Why complicate things... Let best friend be best friend and boy friend be boyfriend... At the end... When ur boyfriend leaves u... U ll need a best friend after all😜

0|2
    0|1
  • Pros:you know eacg other very well and the relationship might last if the friendship had last long enough
    Cons: if it doesn't work you loose your girl and your best friend at the same time.

0|3
    0|0
    • I don't agree with you on losing your bf/gf and your best friend at the same time. You can still be friends if it was a friendly break-up. It's most likely going to be friendly anyway if it's your best friend.

• Well i do some couples stay friends after a break up but its only like 20% of the couples you can always be in the 20%

• It depends on the person. i am friends with my boyfriend ex girlfriend she doesn't care much about him anyway. my boyfriend has lot of things in common like sushi, video gaming , dancing. being very playful. we get annoyed of the girls we just start kissing to get them a way from us.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't think I will feel the urge to have a relationship with a beat friend because we already know each other so much. I don't know if my body could give off the same amount of hormone like I see someone hot

0|0
    0|0
  • Even though I haven't got any experience having a relationship with someone or my guy bestfriend, just by observing my friends having a relationship like that too, I have learned so many things.
    The Pros of dating your best friend is that you're comfortable with them. Both of you know each other well. You'll still treat each other as best friends but a little sweeter this time. Your family and friends know and (if possible) support your relationship with each other. It will not be that awkward.
    The cons is that if ever things gone wrong with your partner slash bestfriend then you have no one to talk to unless you have another bestfriend. You cannot lie to him/her since your best friend knows you well (though I don't think this part is not good but maybe it is also part of the cons) and etc.

0|0
    0|0
  • Dating your best friend is always risky. Itll either be the best relationship ever because you know everything about eachother or it will end disaster because you'll find out you actually know nothing about eachother and it will kill the friendship.

0|0
    0|0
  • I wouldn't want to. The friendship is way too important to me to risk losing it over an ugly breakup.

0|0
    0|0
  • For me, I don't see any cons. A girl my type who's also my best friend is like the best relationship.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not worth it. Because if you break up, you now lost your best friend AND your boyfriend/girlfriend

1|0
    0|0
  • Yah I would totally do that if my best friend wasn't a guy.

1|0
    0|0
  • If you both feel a connection id say try it just remember you two already know one another dont act like this is the first time you are meeting them

0|0
    0|0
  • Well it will either work out and bring u closer together which is a pro or it could not work out and maybe destroy ur friendship which is a con

0|0
    0|0
  • "Dating your best friend". Just the word friend shouts at you, signaling that it won't be good.

0|0
    0|0
  • mostly my stages of falling in love are: being friends with a guy -> falling for him, it has never worked the other way around for me...

almost a year ago i told one of my best friends i liked him and he confessed for the first time that he is gay...
    fell in love with my current best male bff, asked him last week if he liked me, he said "i like you a lot but i currently don't want a relationship if you mean that... but our friendship means a lot to me"

so i'd actually love to try but apparently, i am not likeable :(

0|0
    0|0
  • ... don't have any best friend.
    so I don't know :(

0|0
    0|0
  • Pros: he games like me and likes all the stuff I do. Cons: we're both straight and he's married

1|0
    0|0
  • Well I thought that the person you love and marry was your best friend. Its refreshing to have such a person who really knows who you are in every way. That knows you so well without the intimacy. If you make it to that point of dating I believe it will go so much farther. I lost mine we had been friends from first grade. We started dating in 10th grade. We planned in our senior year to be married within 2 years of graduation. But she was killed 3 months before graduation. It was the most beautiful thing to have no secrets. We knew each other on such a higher level. There was no trying to figure each other out. It was perfect. But every since then I have done nothing but struggle. And fail. Always having to guess. They never truly reveal themselves. So of course failure is inevitable. My opinion nurture it. Embrace it. It will be your best relationship you could ever have.

0|0
    0|0
  • If she looks like a traditional minded and skinny girl like the picture I'd say it's great

0|0
    0|0
  • I think have ONLY positive points about. But women never date best (male) friends. i'ts very rare.

0|0
    0|0
  • Actually many people have had siccess in this area. But you have to move into it at a steady pace

0|0
    0|0
  • You already know each other well, so I figure it kinda makes things easier.

0|0
    0|0
  • That's if you think you can handle that leap of faith.

0|0
    0|0
  • My best friend and i actually talked about that

0|0
    0|0
  • You may get a date but lose a friend.

0|0
    0|0
  • not all dates have to be romantic, you know.

0|0
    0|0
  • It isn't worth it

0|0
    0|0
  • To me it be incest plus I see her like a sister.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well I’m not gay so not happen.

0|0
    1|0
  • Better chemistry , can lead to very strong relationship, and a fun one too

0|0
    0|0
  • I didn’t think this was possible due to the friendzone

0|0
    0|0
  • Shouldn’t your SO be your (or one of your) best friend though?

1|0
    0|0
    • I think the question is more about dating a friend that was already a best friend, rather than becoming best friends with your SO, which you should absolutely be.

• Yes. If there is attraction. There has to be sexual attraction. If not you will only be friends and sex will feel very awkward

0|0
    1|0

Recommended myTakes