Would this be an insult?

If the person you were dating told you they would have to lower their standards or settle just to get married, how would you take that?
  • Yes, that's insulting
  • No, it's not insulting

33

Most Helpful Girl

• Are they referring to marrying you? Or someone they believe lesser in general? I may be hurt if the person I wus in a relationship was reffering to me. I would definitely ask why they felt marrying me was lowering thier standards, or what I could have done to better the relationship. I would let them explain and get thier feelings out. I would express mine, and then I would end the relationship. If someone just believes they are truly better than any partner they could ever find, I wish them luck in being happy or in a healthy relationship. I personally dont feel as tho I am BETTER than anyone. I am DIFDERENT. We all are and thats what makes us each unique. I have had relationships that were not healthy ones. But I was not better than the man I was with. I made my own mistakes. But all I could do was learn from them and keep moving forward.

• They were speaking in general at the time. However, they were considering marrying me. She did let it be known that I don't fit what she thought she would go for in a guy, but a lot of that dealt with profession/career. She was aspiring to be a pediatrician and expecting her partner to make a similar salary. I told her I don't aspire to make that much money, at least for me to be satisfied in life.

Most Helpful Guy

• No, it's not insulting