Would this be an insult?

If the person you were dating told you they would have to lower their standards or settle just to get married, how would you take that?
  • Yes, that's insulting
    Vote A
  • No, it's not insulting
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Are they referring to marrying you? Or someone they believe lesser in general? I may be hurt if the person I wus in a relationship was reffering to me. I would definitely ask why they felt marrying me was lowering thier standards, or what I could have done to better the relationship. I would let them explain and get thier feelings out. I would express mine, and then I would end the relationship. If someone just believes they are truly better than any partner they could ever find, I wish them luck in being happy or in a healthy relationship. I personally dont feel as tho I am BETTER than anyone. I am DIFDERENT. We all are and thats what makes us each unique. I have had relationships that were not healthy ones. But I was not better than the man I was with. I made my own mistakes. But all I could do was learn from them and keep moving forward.

0|1
    0|0
    • They were speaking in general at the time. However, they were considering marrying me. She did let it be known that I don't fit what she thought she would go for in a guy, but a lot of that dealt with profession/career. She was aspiring to be a pediatrician and expecting her partner to make a similar salary. I told her I don't aspire to make that much money, at least for me to be satisfied in life.

Most Helpful Guy

• No, it's not insulting

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Depends on why they believe they would be lowering their standards. I know some very successful, rich people. They would believe that marrying a person who is lazy and does not work, or does not have a good education, or does not earn much is lowering themselves, they would not date such a person let alone marry them. http://www.webclairvoyant.com

0|0
    0|0
    • They didn't consider my job good enough - I tutor at my family's latchkey. While they were trying to get into med school, but still haven't. They grew up in the suburbs and compare themselves to the people they grew up with - making 6 figures, so anything less than that is beneath them.

• Unless they mean you're below my standards, them lowering their standards is not my problem.

0|0
    0|0
    • Well, that's what they meant by "settling". As in, they wouldn't really go for you, but you're the only option available. That's the way I person talks about a used "point A to B car"

• I mean the way the sentence was put was very generic that I might have not made the connection they are talking about me being below their standards.
      Also realistically speaking very few people date / marry their dream person so as long as this simply came up once in a conversation, and is not constant I wouldn't be bothered.

• It was said twice, very passively in person. And once on the phone. The first time was a shock, but I was thinking "okaaay"

• She have a huge fuckin' ego

0|0
    0|0
  • That shire harsh

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes