Is it true you need to love yourself before you can be with someone else?

I’ve never been in a relationship before and I’m currently working on trying to love myself but I was just wondering if you have to love yourself before you can love someone else?

62136

Most Helpful Girl

• Hmm, I think it depends on what you don't love about yourself. Also depends on the guy you are with. I think that generalization comes from the fact that people think "Oh, nobody wants to deal with all your insecurities while you're dating, blah blah blah" and though it may be true, it depends. Here's my example. I love my life, I love who I am and the things I do. I'm proud of myself, the way I dress, etc. However, I do feel insecure pretty often (Perhaps a physical trait, or something that's pretty minor). It doesn't impact my life in a major way though, it's just kind of there. The guy I'm talking to right now (though we are not dating) I feel like he can deal with my insecurities, and he knows how to make me feel more confident in myself. Keep in mind, I don't have gigantic life changing securities. Nor do I make him reassure me every second of the day. I feel like these are the ones that cause many people problems. The small ones are the types of insecurities that people think are adorable. Many guys love to reassure girls and help them see what they see, and that's great, but I don't think anyone would appreciate a girl who was always insecure. That's annoying. Everyone has insecurities, but as long as it's not stopping you from being the person you wanna be, then I feel like it's manageable, and will not get in the way of your relationships :) Hope that helps! There is a subtle art to loving yourself, I recommend you read "The subtle art of not giving a f*ck" it really helped me and I've only read half the book so far! Loving yourself doesn't mean forcing yourself, it means you've reached the point you can accept yourself and be yourself in a carefree kind of way! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBUOrsz3aRA

Most Helpful Guy

• If you do not love yourself, you will expect to get self-worth from your relationship. That puts an unrealistic burden on your partner.